PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP-12HH - how to attach casters??

Michael Titus
03-02-2011, 3:55 PM
I took delivery of my new Jet JJP-12HH Jointer/Planer today. I've got the crate top and sides off. I also have four of the Great Lakes casters that other Creekers have posted about using.

JJP12 owners, how did you go about attaching the casters to the bottom of the machine, and getting it off of the crate bottom? My hydraulic floor jack is too high to fit underneath the bottom. With some expense and difficulty I could rent an engine hoist, but how to use it? I know to not lift by the jointer beds.

Thanks!

P.S. Gloat!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Chris Nolin
03-02-2011, 4:10 PM
Hi Michael,
I detached the legs from the crate by removing the blocking and freeing the legs. Then I attached the casters, while the machine was still on the crate base, by lifting one end with a shoulder under the bed, then bracing it with an appropriately sized 2x4. Now suspended, I (carefully) attached the caster to that side. Then, I repeated the process on the other side, making sure I locked the first two casters so it didn't slip away from the bracing. Once it was on the casters, I was able to rotate the machine on the crate base and gently lower one end to the ground. Then, after rolling it away from the crate base until the other set of wheels are close to the edge, I could carefully lift and lower that end of the machine to the ground. It did take some strength, though, and I could have used a friend's help, but I was too anxious to wait for help.
- Chris

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2011, 4:29 PM
Put a 4 X 4 or something about 6" away from the end of pallet. (Same height as pallet).

Lift each corner of the jointer with a pry bar and stick a piece of 3/4" thick wood under each corner.

Get a couple of pieces of pipe to use as rollers, put them under the jointer and roll it forward untill it's as far over the 4 X 4 as it can go without tipping.

Let it down off the rollers, install the casters on the end that's supported by the 4 X 4.

Once the casters are installed, remove the 4 X 4 using pry bar and pieces of wood to take the weight off the 4 X 4 . Now it's on casters on one end, pallet on the other.

Repeat the pry bar/pieces of wood/4 X 4 on the other end to lift it off the pallet and then pull the pallet away.

Now repeat the caster installation trick and you're done...........Rod.

Mark Carlson
03-02-2011, 6:28 PM
I have a hammer A3-31 coming soon (casters are bought and ready to go) and I was thinking of using an approach similar to the ones described by Ron and Chris.