PDA

View Full Version : Router Shuts Off

Mark ten Haaf
03-02-2011, 3:25 PM
This is my Craftsman router - 1.75 hp, model# 315.17505
I just started having a problem with it. When I pull the trigger, it starts up just fine, but as soon as I touch the bit to the material it shuts off. I can get it started again by locking the shaft and then immediately unlocking it. That seems to reset the electrical system. But, it shuts off again as soon as I touch the bit to the material. I've tried it as all different speeds, but there is little difference.
Any ideas?????

Jim Rimmer
03-02-2011, 4:21 PM
That is a strange problem, at least to me. I would start with a good cleaning of the switch and any other electrical area that could accumulate dust. I assume the shaft lock is a mechanical lock but could it be pushing dust or something into an area that might cause an issue. You would think a short would not let it start at all. I would start looking around the shaft lock mechanism. Maybe there is something shifting when you move it and then the torque from wood contact completes the circuit.

As you can tell I am a genius at this. :D

mickey cassiba
03-02-2011, 4:46 PM
Hmmm...RouterStop?
Seriously though, I agree with Jim. Probably dust in the switch. Can't see any reason for the spindle lock to affect the electricals.

shane lyall
03-02-2011, 9:18 PM
There is a switch under the top that keeps it from running in lock mode. I have the Ryobi version of that model. It's a stub that sticks up into the lock unit. Mine was bent over and after making a small wedge from some folded sandpaper it good as new. With it deformed it just made contact at times and would break the circit at the slightest vibration. It drove me nuts for an hour before I found it.

Mark ten Haaf
03-02-2011, 10:33 PM
There is a switch under the top that keeps it from running in lock mode. I have the Ryobi version of that model. It's a stub that sticks up into the lock unit. Mine was bent over and after making a small wedge from some folded sandpaper it good as new. With it deformed it just made contact at times and would break the circit at the slightest vibration. It drove me nuts for an hour before I found it.

Cool - I'll snoop under the hood tomorrow. Thanks for the information; I'll let you know if it works.

shane lyall
03-03-2011, 3:30 AM
Hope that's it. It's a good little router but I was ready to scrap mine when it started that stuff. My falt but I left it in the lock position and the little plastic stub bent over. I still use it with my dovetail jig and it stays set up for half blinds.

Ernest Martin
03-03-2011, 7:47 AM
It doesn't really sound like it's the brushes but I think it would be a good Idea to pull those out any way and take a look at them.
If it was the brushes it would probably make nose right when you start it up.