PDA

View Full Version : barn

charlie knighton
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
any suggestions for taking an old barn down

the boarding is already been claimed, i can have some of the beams, i have not seen barn yet, built around 1900, suppose to use wreaking bars and chainsaws

this is all new to me, trying not to get anyone hurt, start next month

Charlie Reals
03-02-2011, 1:07 PM
Keep the beer chest closed until you are done and not knowing the experience of your crew keep your eyes open. I have helped raze several without a hitch and one went bad.

Richard Madden
03-02-2011, 1:11 PM
I agree with Charlie. Just be careful, and keep safety as your number 1 priority.

Chip Sutherland
03-02-2011, 5:36 PM
Find a metal detector wand. Take white chalk with your to circle any spots/holes that might hide a nail. You are likely to find nails the hard way regardless. With that said, take a couple of extra saw chains. It's easier to replace than fix and you can always cannabalize from broken ones to fix other broken ones. Take a wagon, a furniture dolly, etc....beams are heavy even after you cut them down to manageable size. Take a young person...they have better backs, think they are indestructible and basically need some hard work. steel toe boots, gloves, ear, faceshield.

But you gotta post something you make at SMC. I love old growth rings. The trick is to get the ring's balanced from side to side but off-bias growth rings make interesting turnings, too.

Charles McKinley
03-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Rent a man lift. It will save you a ton of time and keep you away from falling things.

charlie knighton
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
i have a netal detector but had not thought to bring it along, good idea Chip

man lift???? i see the idea but can you describe what i need?????? Charles

Charles McKinley
03-13-2011, 7:52 PM
No Problem

http://www.jlg.com/en-US/ProductLine.html?BaseProductLineNodeId=69fcadcf-b253-4fc6-b352-b6b1e06d8ea7&ProductLineNodeId=85644934-a62b-4bed-93f6-e194a059c70e&GroupProductLineNodeId=965621a7-0233-43a3-a30c-75fe99dccc2d&ProductRootMenuId=d39badf6-70c2-4fa3-a03c-268cb1f085d7

I used to work building steel storage tanks so I forget that not everyone has played with these wonderful toys. Take the operator training. They can be rented. Get one with four wheel drive or the trailer version and use a tractor to move it around the barn. Standing on a structure that you are dismanteling is not advised. The lumber is not worth someones life nor limb.

Be Safe

Greg Portland
03-14-2011, 1:35 PM
For others reading, please note that these lifts are not intended to LIFT/hold the beams, they are intended to lift the person safely up so they can remove the upper structure.

Chuck Wintle
03-14-2011, 1:55 PM
get a tractor and a long chain. Connect the chain to the structure of the barn and to the tractor and pull the barn down.

David Weaver
03-14-2011, 2:14 PM
Guy I worked for also pulls them down with a tractor and a chain (chain, not cables or nylon tow rope or anything - they can whip and kill anyone who gets in the way).

If you're questioning what you can safely remove then you can pull parts of the pile away with the tractor and work on them separately. It's a lot less work, and if you're not standing somewhere questionable, safer than standing on lifts and ladders.

Bob Riefer
03-14-2011, 2:58 PM
+1 on tractor method. Also, +1 on chain as opposed to rope/tow straps etc. Wrap the chain clear around a structural member (don't rely on hooks).

Keep in mind that barns are partially held together by the siding on them, as well as the diagonal members in the corners. If the building seems like it'll put up a fight (you'd be surprised.. my 1902 barn was leaning over 12 inches when I started saving it... and it was nowhere near ready to fall down) remove siding first. And remove the diagonals (do that safely and carefully) before trying to drag it over.

Lee Koepke
03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
not sold on chains though. I have seen chains break and snap back at the pullee too. Not sure whats better, getting hit by a tow strap or a rather large chain!

I think tow straps lose their energy rather quickly, whereas chains just keep coming! (I aint no engineer, just dont want to see anyone hurt)

David Weaver
03-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Just looked it up after my comment about chains, looks like pretty much anything underrated can be deadly.

Only thing I can find is a recommendation that you should double the strongest possible pull to set capacity, and that nylon straps with loops at the ends are recommended if you want to use a strap, never one with a hook.

I've seen chains break before, but nothing flying off of them. Looks like a lot of comments online say that plenty of times, something does fly when the chain breaks, so maybe nothing is safe!

Burn it!

Bob Riefer
03-15-2011, 8:34 AM
I guess the moral here is that you need the right chain or strap. But really, if you have to pull really hard, you can make some modifications to the barn so that you don't have to pull as hard to get it down. If you determine that the building is very stiff/strong still, I'd remove siding on both sides (you'll pull from one surface, the "sides" are the walls to the left and right of where you are pulling) of the building before removing diagonals. Then remove diagonals. Then pull.

Make sure you're chain is long enough that you're wayyyyyy out of the way (as the building hits the ground, there will be some flying debris.. wearing a helmet and eye/ear/body protection ain't a bad idea). Also, chain is hella expensive at that weight, so you may check your rental yard to see if you can save some bucks.

charlie knighton
03-16-2011, 2:53 PM
thanks guys, checked on rental lift, i think tractor and chain is more in my budget