PDA

View Full Version : Question about wood bleach

Richard Madden
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a spiral finial made of holly that I'm thinking about bleaching to get it as white as possible. The finial is complete and sanded to 1200 grit and then polished with 2 and 4000 grit abralon. How will bleaching affect the sanded and polished surfaces? Would I wind up needing to start over with the higher grits sanding? The finial has already been parted off, so re-sanding would be pretty hard to do. I'd appreciate any comments from those with experience using a 2 part bleach system.

Steve Vaughan
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't have much experience with bleaching, I've only done a minimal amount using clorox and some other kind of stuff, can't remember the name. But both, being water soluble, I'd think you're gonna have to start sanding over again - at what grit I don't know. You're most likely gonna be raising the grain regardless.

John Beaver
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Richard, there are two issues with using the wood bleach.

First, especially since it has to soak in a bit, it will raise the grain - more then if you just add water or dna to the wood.
Second, the bleach tends to leave a powdery residue. So the answer to your question is you will definitely have to sand again. I would guess you would need to start at around 400 grit - but I've never used it on holly.

Richard Madden
03-02-2011, 1:07 PM
Thanks for the opinions, and I think you both are right. I'll rig up something to enable me to re-chuck this thing and give it a go.