PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Mirror Acrylic

John Frazee
03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I am cutting a logo out of mirror acrylic to go on a mirror acrylic license plate. What is the best way to attach it? I have the acrylic glue but don't think that would work being that the mirror coating would desolve.

Mike Null
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
You might try a silicone adhesive.

Larry Bratton
03-02-2011, 1:22 PM
Acrylic cement won't work anyway. You have to have an acrylic to acrylic contact for it to bond. I assume your using Fab Back mirror. I used some two part epoxy by Loctite to make some license plates. The one I used was made for plastics. As Mike advised, silicone adhesive might work too, just have to try it. You might try Super Glue also, it works with plastics and other things.

Jarami Reid
03-02-2011, 1:22 PM
some tesla tape - or other high quality double sided tape?

Mike Null
03-02-2011, 4:01 PM
I love that tape but haven't used it for outdoor applications. Is it good for that?

Joe Pelonio
03-02-2011, 8:48 PM
There is a mirror adhesive made for this purpose that sticks to anything including walls. Tap Plastics has it but so should
any home center.

Larry Bratton
03-03-2011, 9:19 AM
If you are using Fabback mirror made by Plaskolite, here is a link to the product info in PDF format. They do recommend adhesives such as Joe has suggested but if this is a license plate application it is going to be outside and subjected to some pretty tough conditions. I'm sure that the standard mirror adhesives are for interior use.
http://www.plaskolite.com/pdf/Acrylic-Mirror.pdf

Oh, and by the way, I know this flies in the face of custom license plate makers, but they don't recommend the mirror for exterior use. Subsequently, your on your own as far as finding a cement that will work.

Deane Shepard
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I've done a few mirrored license plates and glued the mirror to the back plate with thick CA (Bob Smith Industries purple cap). I took care to make sure I got a solid bead around all the edges to try to prevent any water seepage behind the mirror as I wasn't sure how well the mirrored coating would stand up to water. The one on my motorcycle has been on for a little over two years and looks as good as the day it was made. A friend has one on the front of his car that has been on even longer and is holding up just fine.

Deane Shepard
Universal M-360

Larry Bratton
03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I bought some CA glue called Rhino Glue. This stuff is Super Glue on steroids. I am sure it would work on acrylic mirror. I have some on hand, so I'll give it a try. The Rhino is not sold in stores and can be ordered online, just Google it. I have been gluing all kinds of stuff with it, acrylic, metal to metal etc. My wife put up a curtain rod the other day and actually glued the holder to the window frame with it and it held. Only problem with CA, don't get it on your skin, it dries instantly. I imagine the Max1 glue would also work, it is also a CA type adhesive.

John Frazee
03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the help! The PDF file has some good info and so do the other posts. Hopefully this has helped others out as it helped me. There seems to be good results with several different glues. Now to see who and where (it) will come from.