PDA

View Full Version : OT- Cost of garage door installation

Cliff Newton
01-22-2005, 1:47 AM
I waited too late to call the garage door installers today. I'm wondering how much it would set me back for a 16'x8' metal garage door plus installation. Anyone have experience with this?

Norman Hitt
01-22-2005, 4:34 AM
I waited too late to call the garage door installers today. I'm wondering how much it would set me back for a 16'x8' metal garage door plus installation. Anyone have experience with this?

Cliff, about a year and a half ago, the "Overhead Door Co" here in Odessa, installed a 10' x 10' Insulated metal door in my shop Bldg and I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 7 - 800. I had them quote me to replace both my two standard width x about 7' tall garage doors with metal, insulated doors and having one panel in each door that had 3 or 4 small windows, and their quote was $750, which was a little less than I could buy the same type, (but not as good quality as theirs) at Home Depot with no installation included.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the 10 x 10 door on my shop, and when I replace the garage doors, they will definitely get my business. I'm sure they have stores in your area, so check them out.

Joe Mioux
01-22-2005, 6:40 AM
Cliff:

I replaced our 16x8 door. I bought a Clopay door, steel both sides, insulated, decorative sunburst window treatment, torsion spring, new door opener and installed. It cost around $1500. That was back in 1997.

I just had a quote for an 9x8 door (door only) for $700, installed.

Herb Blair
01-22-2005, 7:18 AM
Cliff,
I had my 16x8 garage door replace about 5 years ago. Its steel, non insulated. It ran about $600 if I remember correctly.

Cliff Newton
01-22-2005, 9:02 AM
Herb, I'm in Carrollton also. What company did you use?

Cliff,
I had my 16x8 garage door replace about 5 years ago. Its steel, non insulated. It ran about $600 if I remember correctly.

Dick Parr
01-22-2005, 9:25 AM
It cost me $75 for a foam kit to install that insulated it. Was well worth it. They just slip into the panels of the door. Washer and dryer are in the garage and that was where I started WW. Worked great. :D

I got it from Williams Door Company in Knoxville.

Jim Andrew
01-23-2005, 9:53 AM
Overhead doors are just erector sets. They have directions. I have
installed all 4 on my garage and shop and didn't find any of them very
hard to install. The main thing is to have the opening correct for the door
you are installing, and tack a one by to the opening to make your door not
fall through while you are installing, and just put one panel at a time against
the inside opening, and use some 16d nails to hold it there temporarily
while you put the erector set together. If you follow the directions in
order, you get along fine. Torsion springs can be difficult to wind, you
have to have 2 1/2" rods and keep one in the hole at all times or it will
spin back on you. Be sure to wind the spring in the right direction. The
easiest way to brace the ends of your track is to buy angle iron, probably
about 1" or 1 1/2" and screw it to the framing members of your ceiling
and cut pieces to hang down to catch the end of the track and use an
angle piece to brace it, so it can't move from side to side after the door
is in use. I bought my doors on sale at Sutherlands, 20% off. My 9x8
insulated I have about 250$ in. Jim

Ted Shrader
01-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Cliff -

As Jim says, garage door installation is not hard at all. Recently (last two years) put in a 16' Clopay garage door - about $700 delivered to the house. All hardware included. Simply removed the old door step by step and installed the new one. Both had torsion bar tensioners. With a couple of extensions from the toolbox, they were no problem to de-/re-tension. Installations $$$, as I recall, was just about the price of the door.

Ted