PDA

View Full Version : Glueing up segments. Circle strap? Rubber Band?

dirk martin
03-02-2011, 3:45 AM
I've seen some folks do some gluing up of segments, to make some segmented turnings, and I've seen them use rubberbands on the circles, after applying the glue. Is that really good enuf? I'd think you'd need to do some squeezing a lot more than what a rubber band offers....or no?

Tim Boger
03-02-2011, 6:44 AM
I have always used hose clamps, I bought several dozen quick release clamps from an ebay seller awhile back for a couple of dollars apiece. I have some that can clamp a 14" ring .... lot's of folks say that rubber bands are fine, I like the clamps best.

Tim

Michelle Rich
03-02-2011, 7:08 AM
Rubber bands are fine..I never use as they are hard to use. One of the most famous segmenters of all time, used rub joints. Put glue on one segment, rub with another, until tacky, then line them up and set aside. I use hose clamps. Not because you need the clamping pressure (you do not..if you are trying to make a joint out of badly made segments and force them..this segmenting is not for you!) but because it makes it possible for me to line everything up perfectly and close the circle. Then I can hang the pieces on a rod to dry. (I need the space on the workbench for other work) As a segmenter with 25 yrs of experience, let me pass this on. You must cut perfect angles on your segments, or they will not go together. Put your first efforts there. If you take the time to do this right, your life will be much improved. If you try to find ways to adjust for errors, you will be wasting your time & your segmenting will not be a joy. Good luck

David Warkentin
03-02-2011, 8:00 AM
I always just use the tacky glue/rub method. Works for me! No trying to get clamps on or rubber bands. The times I have used rubber bands it seems like I may have needed three hands to get them over the rings without messing things up.

Bill Bulloch
03-02-2011, 8:06 AM
I use rubber bands on rings up to about 8 inches and hose clamps on the larger ones and on the small ones that have narrow widths. The rubber bands seem to be strong enough for any of the jobs but the clamps are easier to use on the larger rings and narrow width rings. I'll put two are three 3 x 1/4 inch bands on small rings and a 5 x 5/8 inch band on the larger rings. I get my rubber bands from ULine. The Hose Clamps I use are from a kit. The Stainless Steel bands come in 13 feet lengths with six clamps. You cut the bands to the length you need. My lathe is 16 inches on center, so to make a band for a 16 ring requires a 52 inch length. The kit lets you make this ring from one piece rather than joining several smaller clamps. I get the 1/2 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp Kit from Lee Valley.

Dave Ogren
03-02-2011, 9:33 AM
I have been at a demo put on by Malcomb Tibbets. He recommends using rubber bands.

Good luck,

Dave

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Rubber bands for rings up to about 8-9" in diameter; hose clamps on bigger rings. A rubber band gluing jig is required for rings bigger than about 5” (depends upon your hand size and finger strength). By applying as many rubber bands as needed, more than enough pressure can be applied. Beginners at segmenting often make the mistake of thinking that lots of pressure is required - not so. The application of a clamp or rubber band(s) is two fold; to align the segments and to force excess glue from the joint. It does not take 1000's of pounds of pressure to squeeze the excess glue from the joints. Another advantage of rubber bands (on small diameter rings) is by applying the bands from different sides of the ring, very even pressure all around the ring can be created; with a single hose clamp, friction between the steel band and the segments creates uneven pressure.

Rub joints (using only temporary finger pressure on individual joints) work fine on small segments, but my testing has shown that on larger segments, a better looking glue line can be achieved with a little additional pressure. For what it’s worth.

David Warkentin
03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info Mr. Tibbetts. Hope everything is going well for you.

Chris Colman
03-02-2011, 1:52 PM
The segmenting master has spoken truly. As Mr. Tibbetts said, rub joints is fine for small segments, larger segments need a little more clamping pressure.

I have been using rub joints on a piece of formica counter top (sink cut-out). Titebond glue will pop right off formica when dry. Gives the rings a chance to dry flat. I have not had as much success with clamped rings hung on a rod.

For very large rings I have used nylon tie-down straps. You can buy a two-pack at the dollar store, about 1 inch wide. I think these give a more even pressure around the ring than metal hose clamps.

$.02