View Full Version : New combo machine

Paul B. Cresti
01-22-2005, 12:05 AM
I thought you guys & gals would like taking a look at this one. I reserve all
comments :)

http://www.skilxshop.com/

Charles McKinley
01-22-2005, 1:03 AM
Paul to think you spent all that money on MiniMax stuff when you could have had all of the fine equipment for only $575! :D

You should order 2 right away and sed me you MM stuff. Especially since I waited for it to down load of dial up! ;)

Dan Stuewe
01-22-2005, 1:04 AM
One of the magazines had this recently (or was that an ad?) I must say I really like the idea, I'm just not sure on the quality. Just think if DeWalt or Bosch (hum, Bosch/Skil) did this, I think it would be a one-car garage, newer woodworker's dream. Yes, it would be hard to deal with the big stuff, but making jewelry boxes and the like would be pretty sweet. Like I said, the quality of the machines would be a concern, but would seem to fit well in the Ryobi BT3K or Shopsmith level.

Frank Pellow
01-22-2005, 7:04 AM
I like the design. Unless the construction is shoddy, the unit should sell well.

Who knows :confused: , if there is some degree of quality there, I might even buy one for my workshop at Pellow's Camp. But, before doing so, I will wait a couple of years. Maybe by then, someone with a better reputation than Skil will have juumped onto the bandwagon.

Jerry Crawford
01-22-2005, 7:37 AM
:p yeah Frank, one of these would look right at home next to that hugh band saw you just installed .... ;) :D

Frank Pellow
01-22-2005, 8:11 AM
:p yeah Frank, one of these would look right at home next to that hugh band saw you just installed .... ;) :D
No it wouldn't! :p :p But, it might prove to be very handy at my camp. Right now, I am taking lots of tools with me on most visits (just under 600 miles one way) :) to camp.

Jim Becker
01-22-2005, 8:52 AM
Oh, man...that's scary!!

Kelly C. Hanna
01-22-2005, 9:09 AM
Word to the wise...Skil has always been known for the shakiest table saw made (most vibrations during operations). I have used many Skill tools in my time (the last one...a belt sander...just died last month), but I would hesitate to buy this one until the reports ome out about it's performance.

Tom LaRussa
01-22-2005, 10:07 AM
My stupid browser won't show the picture.

Would some kind soul please copy it and post it here?

TIA!

:o

Frank Pellow
01-22-2005, 12:08 PM
My stupid browser won't show the picture.

Would some kind soul please copy it and post it here?

TIA!

:o
Here you go ...

Ted Shrader
01-22-2005, 5:19 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . Judgement withheld. :) :D :)

Ted

Tyler Howell
01-22-2005, 7:22 PM
What do you need a MM for when you have one of these fine machines!!!:rolleyes:

Paul B. Cresti
01-22-2005, 8:02 PM
I am going to take everyone's advise here and will be selling all of my MM machines in order to condense my shop and get more working space, thus I will soon be the proud owner of an SkillX shortly. :eek:

Bob Marino
01-22-2005, 8:15 PM
I am going to take everyone's advise here and will be selling all of my MM machines in order to condense my shop and get more working space, thus I will soon be the proud owner of an SkillX shortly. :eek:

Yes, Paul. Get rid of that old, space wasting MM TS/Slider. I think you'd be much happier with the new Skill ;) :D .

Bob

Don Selke
01-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Wow:
What a way to cut full sheets of plywood and 5/4 hardwood. I think I will load my stuff in a rented truck and haul it over to Pauls and join his garage sale. Maby I will win powerball too!!!!!!!!!!! or the lottery!!!:D :) ;)

Norman Hitt
01-23-2005, 3:23 AM
Gosh, I really hate to see it, because it not only will affect the MiniMax sales, but even Good Ole Uncle Bob. With this new machine, everything is in just one package instead of all those many boxes need to house the Festools.......yeah, even Frank will only have to load one package to go to camp. Such a shame.

I've gotta admit though that if I had had one of these when I was stationed on Shemya for nearly a year, I would have thought I was in Hog Heaven. There was an Electronics Hobby shop (but who wanted to spend time there when you worked on electronics 8 to 12 hrs a day), then there was the Ceramics hobby shop, but you can only stomach making just so many Beer Steins.

Paul B. Cresti
01-23-2005, 8:44 AM
Once again I agree with Jim who agrees with..... (does anybody get this except for me?) anyway.... I do not profess to be a master craftsman of 1700 PA era and anyone of us can get injured while ww'g but this "little shop" is down right dangerous. It is geared for the novice, most likely the ones that have never done any kind of ww'g. Can you picture a novice trying to rip on that thing? or trying to scroll cut with an inverted jigsaw! or how about shaping on a table that is about as big as a shoebox! What are your thoughts???

Frank Pellow
01-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Once again I agree with Jim who agrees with..... (does anybody get this except for me?) anyway.... I do not profess to be a master craftsman of 1700 PA era and anyone of us can get injured while ww'g but this "little shop" is down right dangerous. It is geared for the novice, most likely the ones that have never done any kind of ww'g. Can you picture a novice trying to rip on that thing? or trying to scroll cut with an inverted jigsaw! or how about shaping on a table that is about as big as a shoebox! What are your thoughts???
Yes, it could be dangerous for a novice (or even for an experienced person who is not careful). But, you can already purchase all the dangerous parts that you mention. What this machine does is bring them all together.

I would still be interested in this machine or, preferably, one like it from another manufacturer.

markus shaffer
01-23-2005, 4:39 PM
Paul,

Do you think maybe we could dump our machinery together? Garage sale style. Had I known that Skil was working on this contraption, I'd never have given my money to those guys at Felder.. Can't believe I wasted all my money on those Austrians..

-Markus

Paul B. Cresti
01-23-2005, 4:42 PM
Paul,

Do you think maybe we could dump our machinery together? Garage sale style. Had I known that Skil was working on this contraption, I'd never have given my money to those guys at Felder.. Can't believe I wasted all my money on those Austrians..

-Markus
Markus,
OK now your talking :p note to all Markus and I will be having a shop sale of
all our MiniMax and Felder machines. :D ....oh wait a second let me think about this one...stay tuned

Tom LaRussa
01-23-2005, 10:13 PM
One of the magazines had this recently (or was that an ad?) I must say I really like the idea, I'm just not sure on the quality. Just think if DeWalt or Bosch (hum, Bosch/Skil) did this, I think it would be a one-car garage, newer woodworker's dream. Yes, it would be hard to deal with the big stuff, but making jewelry boxes and the like would be pretty sweet. Like I said, the quality of the machines would be a concern, but would seem to fit well in the Ryobi BT3K or Shopsmith level.
I agree. For the space limited woodworker this thing could be fantastic. If you combined one of these units with one of Dino's souped up Eurekazone packages you'd have something very close to an entire shop that would fit in a one car garage with a car parked in it. :eek:

Tom LaRussa
01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Can you picture a novice trying to rip on that thing?

Depends. Rip what?

Anybody trying to rip full sheets of plywood is obviously going to be in trouble. Trying to rip a 10' long 2x4 would be pretty dumb too.

But I rip hard maple on my 14" Grizzly G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw all the time, and it has an even smaller table.

or trying to scroll cut with an inverted jigsaw!
Yes, this could be quite dangerous if one were to attempt to scroll cut a sheet of plywood. On the other hand, if one used the tool for jobs commensurate with its size, then the only added danger of this type of scrolling is if the operator plunges his/her face against the blade for some reason.

or how about shaping on a table that is about as big as a shoebox!
Again, that depends.

Shaping what?

A canoe? Much too large.

A jewelry box, or a table-top cabinet a la Krenov? I see no problem. Krenov himself, in The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking, describes his own personal shaper as having a table measuring 16 inches square. This Skill unit looks bigger than that.

Robert Mayer
01-23-2005, 10:44 PM
I stand corrected, there exists a piece of woodworking equipment I can call gay.

Mark J Bachler
01-24-2005, 8:28 AM
Markus,
OK now your talking :p note to all Markus and I will be having a shop sale of
all our MiniMax and Felder machines. :D ....oh wait a second let me think about this one...stay tuned

HHHHHmmmmmmmm I'm thinking twin 315's & twin T-50's would look nice & save me allot of set up time.