PDA

View Full Version : MIRKA Compact Electric Random Orbital Sander / CEROS

richard poitras
03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Just wondering if anybody has had a chance to use the new MIRKA Compact Electric Random Orbital Sander (CEROS) yet. And if so what are your thoughts and reviews?

Peter Elliott
03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Anyone? Bueller - Bueller - Bueller? :rolleyes:

Mike Zilis
03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
I got to test drive one at Woodworking in America last October. This thing is extremely powerful and easy to operate. If I didn't already own two Bosch ROS that are just around a year old, I'd be tempted. Of course the price is unreal compared to a traditional high quality ROS though. I'd compare it to a Mercedes or BMW (or whatever high end car you prefer); Really well made, great design, not revolutionary in the end result and three times the price of a solid alternative. :-)

-Mike

Larry Edgerton
03-02-2011, 1:12 PM
Looks like a Sioux air sander, but not air.....

I buy Mirka paper by the case, but did not know they made sanders. I use mostly air sanders in the shop, and have a Sioux that looks a lot like that, but its air...

How much are they? The site I looked at had no pricing.

John Coloccia
03-02-2011, 1:16 PM
How much are they? The site I looked at had no pricing.

They make Festool look cheap. It's about $500, and from what I've heard it's worth every penny if you do a lot of sanding.

Bob Lang
03-02-2011, 3:30 PM
The CEROS is very similar in use and performance to an air sander. Compare the $500 price to a top of the line DynaBrade or Souix with dust collection and the compressor to run it and the price becomes pretty reasonable. No compressor noise in the background is a definite plus.

Bob Lang

Peter Elliott
03-02-2011, 3:40 PM
Mike, I own several and use several including bosch, festool, dewalt. Haven't been real happy with either, so keeping eye out on the market. So far, festool with mirka abranet is doing well. I sand a lot of hard maple which goes through a lot of paper. Abranet seems worth the extra money. Not all happy with my festool performance but it is very comfortable to use for extended amount of times. My dewalt gave a better finish but crushed my hands. Bosch fell in between but wasn't thrilled about the finish.

Greg R Bradley
03-02-2011, 4:04 PM
This is Mirka's attempt to make one of their air sanders into electric with as little change as possible to the "feel" of an industrial air sander.

The thing that makes this really interesting is that they have put a DC Brushless Motor into a sander, which I believe is a first. Festool is using brushless in their drills but not in any other tools. Makita has their brushless 3 speed drill/impact, which is wonderful. I have several DC Brushless Motors in radio controlled cars that I run with my son. It is amazing when you see a one foot long model car that will go an actual 60mph.

Coming technology - if you wan't to be the early adopter, your going to pay. Is this justifiable for anyone not running an RO sander all day?

Victor Robinson
03-02-2011, 4:39 PM
Is this justifiable for anyone not running an RO sander all day?

I might pay for it. I can only woodwork in the evening and my house is attached to the neighbors' on both sides. Recently adding a Fein vac to my arsenal allows me to cleanup in the evening. This thing, if it's as quiet as it's supposed to be, would add "sanding" to the list of things I can actually accomplish on a regular basis.

Greg R Bradley
03-02-2011, 7:57 PM
I don't think my Festool 150/5 or 125 RO sanders make any more noise than my Fein Vacuum. At least not to a person that isn't holding the sander. I can't imagine you would have any complaints from neighbors sharing a common wall. They are very quiet.

Now a Rotax, forget it.

Bill Reed
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I received my 5" CEROS about a week ago, and I really, really love it. I had a little trouble finding a dust hose that fit it, but the Festool vacuum hose works. This sander is just so much more light-weight and maneuverable than anything else I have seen. It is also extremely quiet. Dust collection is very efficient, and you can use standard sanding pads or Mirka's Abranet product. Bottom line is I paid a big price for this sander, but it has turned a chore that I hated into something I don't at all mind doing. I have no regrets at all about buying it and recommend it enthusiastically to everyone.

Bill Reed

Noah Katz
03-03-2011, 5:08 PM
The thing that makes this really interesting is that they have put a DC Brushless Motor into a sander, which I believe is a first.

I thought the PC 390 was brushless; I don't know how else they could claim that "EnduraTech Motor Technology has 71% fewer wear components ".

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2011, 5:38 PM
Bill, where is that thing made?

Peter Elliott
03-03-2011, 5:53 PM
Bill, you might get a visitor.... from Maryland.. Up for it?

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2011, 5:58 PM
Bill

I'm not going to visit, you are too far.....

Greg R Bradley
03-03-2011, 6:15 PM
I thought the PC 390 was brushless; I don't know how else they could claim that "EnduraTech Motor Technology has 71% fewer wear components ".
You are correct - it IS listed as a brushless motor. I would have thought that they would have made a big deal out of a brushless motor. Perhaps it isn't a huge difference in a sander like it is in the cordless tools. I have both the Makita BTD141 impact driver and the newer Brushless BTD144 model and the difference is amazing. Big increase in power and battery life.

Bill Reed
03-03-2011, 7:02 PM
Larry,

I'm pretty sure it is made in Finland.

Bill

Bill Reed
03-03-2011, 7:03 PM
Peter,

I'm always happy to have fellow woodworkers visit my shop.

Bill

Larry Edgerton
03-04-2011, 9:38 AM
Cool! According to my rules I can buy it then...........

Thanks Bill