PDA

View Full Version : Two Bowls With Turquoise Embellishment

Jeff Paxton
03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Recently watched a video from Larry Fox called "Creating Outlays From Inlays." I have always thought turquoise was pretty and might make a neat embellishment from time to time, so I tried it. In the past turquoise was very frustrating, but these two bowls were really fun. His technique really made the difference. I plan to do some more of it. Both bowls are about 8 inches in diameter, about a quarter inch thick, around 4 inches tall. One is walnut and the other maple. The embellishment on the bottom of the walnut was with Turquoise powder. I wished I would have used the turquoise sand so it would have matched the top better. Oh well, next time. Sorry the pics aren't that great, glare pretty bad. Thanks for looking.

Jeff

David E Keller
03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
This is a neat look, Jeff. Lots of potential applications.

Brian McInturff
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Jeff, those are really nice. I really like the turquoise on the rim like that.

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Jeff - very nice work! Just a personal preference but I prefer the maple/turquoise mix over the walnut. No matter - I like how they both turned out and look forward to seeing more of this from you!

jared herbert
03-01-2011, 11:29 PM
could you please tell me where you got this video or how I could get a copy. I have done some turquoise inlays before but have never seen it on the rim like this. I am interested. Thanks Jared

Tim Thiebaut
03-02-2011, 12:32 AM
These are very cool looking! How did it turn for you, was it fairly easy on your tools, or were you having to sharpen often to keep a good edge on your tools? Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Michelle Rich
03-02-2011, 7:22 AM
very nice..will you let us know how the turquoise holds up over time..on the edge(vs. the sides) it would in my mind, be vulnerable to chipping. again, very pretty embellishments

Jim Burr
03-02-2011, 7:27 AM
Very clean work Jeff. That doesn't look easy at all, but you carried it off well!

John Keeton
03-02-2011, 7:29 AM
Interesting effect! I realize the lighting is different, but the walnut bowl tends to bring out different colors in the turquoise - at least to me.

bob svoboda
03-02-2011, 9:24 AM
Very nice work-the rims are cool. My favorite is the Walnut.

jared herbert
03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Another thought I had on the rims is that in my experience all of the bowls I have turned, will over time change shape ever so slightly, be it from temperature change, humidity in the summer or lack of it in the winter, or just that last little bit of actual drying of the natural moisture content of the wood. The slightest change in shape of the rim may crack the turqoise and glue that is added. How do you deal with this? What type of glue or resin do you use? Thanks in advance. Jared

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Really nice looking bowls. I do like the walnut.

Tony De Masi
03-02-2011, 4:12 PM
Very nice work Jeff. I like them both but my fav is the walnut one.

Rusty Smith
03-02-2011, 4:42 PM
http://www.foxywoodz.com/content/dvd-creating-outlays-inlays

could you please tell me where you got this video or how I could get a copy. I have done some turquoise inlays before but have never seen it on the rim like this. I am interested. Thanks Jared

Jeff Paxton
03-02-2011, 9:36 PM
Jared,

Larry has two videos. One is called "Creating Creative Inlays" and the other is "Creating Outlays from Inlays." I have both and I think they are really good. Both are about an hour and a half long with good visible instruction. Again, the website is www.foxywoodz.com (http://www.foxywoodz.com) .

As far as what happens when or if the bowl contorts a little from various humidity conditions, I have no idea how the turquoise ring would respond. It is made out of 2-part epoxy, resin/hardener, so there won't be any flex to it. Maybe someone else could offer some insight on that. I might email Larry and ask him, because you got my curosity peaked. He sells many of them so following his technique should be safe. These are my first two bowls to do like this, and while they both were quite dry, I don't want the ring to separate from the wood. I had planned to put them in my booth to sell, but I may do a little more research on your question.

Pete Jordan
03-02-2011, 9:53 PM
Verrry Nice Jeff!

I have that same dvd and I really like it. I will probably "borrow" the way you did your bottom.

How do you break up your turquoise? I bought a $10 blender at a garage sale and it chops it up in no time.

jared herbert
03-03-2011, 7:34 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will check out the videos. I have made quite a few plates and bowls with turqouis and malachite inlays set in a groove near the rim. Most of the time I have used ash wood. I used CA glue and also some epoxy. I have had a few that, after a year or so the surface of the inlay will become rough and show some signs of movement. Sometimes it is not really visible to the eye but you can sure feel it with your finger tips. It is not a huge problem but it is there. I am sure the wood movement is somewhat dependent on the wood species used but they are always wood and have the same parameters. When you think about it, wood is a medium that is alive, it will eventually move, due to changes in temperature and humidity. Epoxy or CA glue is not so there could eventually be a problem where the two meet. Thanks Jared

Ron Stadler
03-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Nice looking bowl Jeff, glad your embelleshment worked out for ya. I will have to take a look at those video's myself, thanks for the information.

Jeff Paxton
03-04-2011, 6:13 PM
Pete.

Here is how I crush my turquoise. I have only done it a couple of times. The smaller tube fits in the larger one and slides into it. I put a cap on both ends and it keeps the stones from going everywhere when they are busted. Don't lose anything really. I use a couple different size strainers to filter the different size stones. I got this in the scrap pile at Lowes and they even threaded it for me. Cost me about 7 dollars for all of it. Larry Fox recommends getting a blender from a second hand store, and I plan to check on that as well. He says it makes powder and sand really well, even though they won't last long.

Jeff