PDA

View Full Version : Found on the Hunt

Jim Koepke
03-01-2011, 9:23 PM
We went into town today and decided to stop by one of our favorite Junktique stores.

Found this for about $10 Figured I could see what it can do in my shop.

Can not find any maker's marks.

jtk

george wilson
03-01-2011, 9:48 PM
A circle cutter,probably by General unless it is an Asian knock off. It will be very difficult to use it with a hand brace. It works well in a drill press. If you don't like it with a brace,you can saw the square tang off to use in the DP. Best run it fairly slow in the DP.

Tony Zaffuto
03-02-2011, 6:28 AM
Believe it is also referred to s a "fly cutter". Bought one new about 30 years ago, chucked it up in my drill press to cut a couple of speaker holes, scared the crap out of myself, as the instructions said nothing about speed. Reboxed it, and it still remains somewhere in my shop. Got another one in an "auction box" and did use it once and it ran fine, as long as you run it slow.

Dan Hintz
03-02-2011, 8:03 AM
No more than a couple hundred rpm's, Jim... fair warning. :)

David Weaver
03-02-2011, 8:22 AM
Do they make drill chucks that will take a square bit like that? Presumably when that one was made, they did? I've seen older power bits like that, always wondered what kind of chuck you'd need to use them.

Tom Winship
03-02-2011, 8:43 AM
Jim, I bought one of these years ago from Sears (back when Craftsman was up there with Cadillac). Mine did not have the square shaft for the brace. Might even still have it. As you were warned, be careful, go slowly.