PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection for DW611PK router

Phil Thien
03-01-2011, 9:11 PM
When the DW611PK was introduced the pictures showed dust collection adapters for the plunge base and the fixed based.

When they started shipping the router kits, the plunge base wasn't included.

I got the router anyway, figuring the dust collection adapters would be available shortly. I backordered the plunge base adapter at my local DeWalt service center. I'm not sure about this, but I think they (DeWalt) may have decided not to manufacture the fixed base dust adapter. I didn't really want one anyhow, I will be using the plunge base almost exclusively.

Well, anyway, they (DeWalt service center) called today to let me know my order was in.

I gave it a shot this evening and was very impressed. My Porter Cable 1" hose fits great. A Fein 1-1/2" hose fit, too. But I did my testing with the PC hose.

It doesn't get everything, but almost everything. To see just how much it was getting I turned the vac off in the middle of a cut (I have a remote that controls the vac) and dust started firing everywhere.

I doubt I'll ever use this router again without a vac connected.

I think they only charged $10 for this, which I feel was very reasonable.

Steve H Graham
03-02-2011, 9:21 AM
I have been trying to find one of those things. I figured the unavailability indicated that DeWalt was fixing a glitch.

I'll order one ASAP, although I was counting on that router dust to fill my daily requirement of dietary fiber.

Phil Thien
03-02-2011, 9:28 AM
If you have a local DeWalt/PC/Delta service center, you can order one from them. They will have it shipped to the store, so you don't have to pay any shipping.

Bill Huber
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks, I will get one ordered, I really like that little router.

Thanks again.

Sean Nagle
03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Phil, thanks for the tip. I contacted my local service center three weeks ago and they said they weren't available. I'll contact them again.

Phil Thien
03-02-2011, 9:10 PM
Phil, thanks for the tip. I contacted my local service center three weeks ago and they said they weren't available. I'll contact them again.

Just tell them to backorder it for you, and to call you when they come in.

Kent A Bathurst
03-03-2011, 7:02 AM
I have PC690's, attached to Betterley collectors, but the action end is a Fein hose to a T-III "auto on". Wish I'd done this years ago.

The tip I have to offer: I installed a shop-made extension cord [to get the correct length] running from the vac to [almost] the end of the hose, connected to the hose with zip-ties. Then, the routers, the ROS, and the belt sander all got a major haircut on their power cord - down to 12" +/- total length. That way, I don't have to manage all that power cord when I hook them up to the vac hose, and I also don't have to untangle that mess when I dig one out of the drawer or the shelves - what a PITA. If I need to run one separate from the vac, hook it up to an extension cord.

Also - I have the hose running from the vac up to the joists, and across to [above] the bench. The hose has metal rings zip-tied to it, and the rings hang on hooks screwed into the joists. That way, I unhook the end of the hose from the joist hook, attach the tool to hose + power, and the hose drops straight down to the bench. The hose and power cord are never in the way now. If I need to go somewhere else with it, I unhook the rest of the hose/rings from the joist hooks.

glenn bradley
03-03-2011, 9:13 AM
Very cool. I wish there was a better solution for template routing DC in general though. Tell them to figure that out :D Seriously, it is nice to see a good approach to the hose angle on a small plunge like that.

Sean Nagle
03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Just tell them to backorder it for you, and to call you when they come in.

I contacted my DeWalt service center. They said that both the plunge and fixed base dust extractors were available and that they can order them. If I allow them to order the parts when they make their routine orders, there's no additional shipping cost for me. The prices I got from them are about $8/ea which seems pretty reasonable. Usually this kind of thing has some ludicrous price.

Phil Thien
03-03-2011, 9:35 PM
The prices I got from them are about $8/ea which seems pretty reasonable. Usually this kind of thing has some ludicrous price.

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before they correct this oversight, and sack the manager responsible. :)

Rich Engelhardt
03-04-2011, 5:43 AM
It doesn't get everything, but almost everything. To see just how much it was getting I turned the vac off in the middle of a cut (I have a remote that controls the vac) and dust started firing everywhere.
I doubt I'll ever use this router again without a vac connected.
I think they only charged $10 for this, which I feel was very reasonable.

My wife is blessed w/a patience greater than Job.....
Three weeks ago when we were installing the trim around the windows in our house, I setup an old door on two saw horses - in the living room! - as a staging area.

We used poplar for the trim and new stoops since the trim is painted.
I stuck a 1/4" roundover bit in the PC 690, two faced taped the 1x3x4' pieces of poplar on the door and had at it - w/my wife trying her best to capture all the flying debris w/a shop vac.
Needless to say - she didn't have a lot of success :D.

There's a method to my madness though.....

Now - when I tell her I want one of those little DeWalt's & point out how great the DC is & how her living room will never again have to look like a sawmill..... ;)..