PDA

View Full Version : Rolling cart

Sean Hughto
03-01-2011, 9:01 PM
So I'm a big fan of rolling carts. I have one that lives under the end of my bench for chisels, planes and such and really enjoy how it keeps things organized, can move to where I'm at in the shop, move for cleaning, and keeps the tools from the dust and shavings. So I decided to use some scraps of this and that to make one for next to the lathe. It's about 30" deep with 28" 100 lb. full extension slides. I was going to make several drawers, but then I realized how bad I wanted a sandpaper drawer and it changes to just three. I still need to fit out the inside of the middle and top drawers - the middle will be chucks and centers, while the top is likely to be tools mostly. Anyway, it's nothing very fancy, but I thought I'd share in case it gave anyone else any organization ideas. I must say, I really like the sandpaper drawer - my paper used to be in sort of falling down pile that quickly got shuffled so it was hard to find grits when you needed 'em.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5490097477_b49e11c52d_b.jpg

John Keeton
03-01-2011, 9:07 PM
Sean, you do remember how to do flatwork!!! Nice design - and well done!

Sean Hughto
03-01-2011, 9:14 PM
Thanks, John. I see we both posted some organizing stuff tonight. Must be Spring cleaning is in the air.

As for flat work, it does take some discipline as the gratification is not nearly so immediate as with the lathe. It was fun to cut some quick dovetails in poplar - like riding a bike!

Roger Chandler
03-01-2011, 9:15 PM
Nice Job on this Sean! I built a similar rolling cart last fall, only mine is bit wider than yours and has 4 drawers. I have my grinder and wolverine jig on top of it. I like how you positioned yours at the end of your lathe. I might try that location for mine, but I will have to find another place for my tool chest.......hummmmmm...........got me thinking about rearranging my shop..........AGAIN!!! :eek:

Rick Markham
03-02-2011, 4:03 AM
You have gotten the gears turning Sean! I could use a handy dandy organizer like that, and I could build a second one at the same time (I need a taboret for my Easel) ugh... flatwork... time to un-bury the tablesaw!!

Dan Forman
03-02-2011, 4:15 AM
Nope, way too organized. Isn't that illegal or something? :D

Very nice solution!

Dan

bob svoboda
03-02-2011, 9:28 AM
Less time hunting for stuff = more time for turning....Hmmmmm. Now, where the heck is that tablesaw anyway-I remember seeing it here somewhere:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Really a nice looking storage unit Sean. One of these days...........

Carol Kinney
03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Very nice work Sean, your shop looks so nice and clean! That is exactly what I've been meaning to do for months now but just have not found the time. I think I could do some converting of a few drawers I already have so it might be done in no time. Thanks for posting, now I have new ideas for my shop.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Very nice work on the cart Sean! Looks like you have things really well organized! I really like the idea that it is mobile and can be moved if you want to turn off the end of the lathe!

Nice idea!