PDA

View Full Version : Is a shop vac repairable?

Rick Moyer
03-01-2011, 6:11 PM
This afternoon my shop vac started to sound like the bearings are going out. I check everything without taking it apart and nothing seems wrong except for the sound it now makes, particularly at start up. Could be the fins inside? are broken but it sounds like motor bearings to me. i'll have to take it apart but I was wondering if anyone has done any similar repairs to one. It's a Shop Vac 12 gal., older, probably had it 15-20 years.

Jason Roehl
03-01-2011, 6:21 PM
Doubtful. They change them all the time, parts are probably hard to find, if at all. If it's 15-20 years old, I'd call it good for no more than a new one is. I've torn into a dead one before--it takes quite a while to even get at the motor. I've found that they last much longer if they don't get rained on, and if you use the bag inserts when picking up fine dusts.

Chip Lindley
03-01-2011, 7:41 PM
If you are the frugal and inquisitive type, you don't have much to lose by taking the ShopVac apart to see if you can get to the armature bearings and motor brushes. The motor may be riveted together. Don't let that stop you. Drill out the rivets and replace with same-size machine screws and nuts w/lock washers, when it's time to put everything back together. The motor bearings should have a number on them to get replacements. As for motor brushes, you can find any carbon brush under the sun HERE (http://www.carbonbrush.com).

Chris Fournier
03-01-2011, 8:03 PM
I had the exact same situation occur with my Sears Craftsman shop vac about ten years ago. Horrible screeching on start up and a grinding sound while running.

Perhaps I was lucky but I took it apart, thoroughly cleaned and lubed up things and this vacuum lives to suck another day. All in I had 30 minutes into the "repair". Honestly, the new vacuums are hideous; do what you can to revive this older unit of yours.

jared herbert
03-01-2011, 8:55 PM
I found that the best way to fix them is to turn them in to trash cans. I have two of them, craftsman, that smoked. I threw away the top part with the motor and the tank makes a real nice rolling garbage can. Keep the hose and use it to make an extension on the new one that you buy. Jared

george wilson
03-01-2011, 9:55 PM
I have repaired Electrolux vacs by installing new bearings. Worked fine.

Jim Mattheiss
03-01-2011, 11:16 PM
I picked a Fein Turbo II up at the curb. It sounded horrible running but the power up on tool start still worked so I figured I cannibalize that if the rest was DOA.

I took it apart down to the fan impellers which were CAKED with sheet rock dust. Cleaned it up and it purrs again.

Like the others said - what have you got to lose?

Cheers

Jim

Brian Kincaid
03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I picked a Fein Turbo II up at the curb. It sounded horrible running but the power up on tool start still worked so I figured I cannibalize that if the rest was DOA. I took it apart down to the fan impellers which were CAKED with sheet rock dust. Cleaned it up and it purrs again... Jim

You win! Post a pic and it qualifies as a gloat. :)
-Brian

Neil Brooks
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I like the info you received.

With all of that ... if it were me ... I'd strip the thing down, and figure out what it needs.

Then, get pricing.

It may or may not be worth fixing, but ... I'd go at least THAT far.

Plus ... it's just kinda' fun :)

Lee Schierer
03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Plus ... it's just kinda' fun :)

I tell LOML all the time that 90% of what is wrong with old appliances that quit working is dirt and lack of lubrication. Take it apart, it will be lots of fun.

Rick Moyer
03-02-2011, 3:47 PM
Well I'm inquisitive enough, frugal will depend. I definitely plan to take it apart to see what I can find. I kinda wondered if anyone had experience changing bearings, costs involved, etc. I get back to you when I get a chance to tear it apart.

Larry Fox
03-02-2011, 4:04 PM
I found that the best way to fix them is to turn them in to trash cans.

+1 here. I am on my second or third Craftsman that I use for general purpose shop-vac'n tasks. When they die the become rolling trash cans. Come to think of it, I probably should have turned my current one into a rolling trash can straight out of the box. I "strongly dislike" it - thing makes a TON of racket and wont even roll over it's own cord without getting hung up.

Rick Thom
03-02-2011, 4:22 PM
My 20-ish year old c-man "Sears Best" wet/dry shop vac packed it in last fall, having done yeoman's service all those years. It was always very noisy but seemed to run forever. I bought a new Rigid 6 hp unit at HD as a replacement for @ $100 on sale at the time. The new one is a good machine and quiet too. Wish I had retired the c-man years ago.

Rick Moyer
03-02-2011, 5:43 PM
Well I took it all apart. The noise is definitely coming from the commutator/brushes or the armature. I only know basics about electric motors and cannot tell what exactly is the problem. The armature seems to spin without noticeable play, the commutator doesn't appear too worn, nor do the brushes, although I don't know what the brushes should look like new. I'm guessing maybe new brushes would resolve the problem but Shop Vac's website doesn't break down parts that far, even on the newer models. My model (800A) isn't listed anyway. The brushes did have a number on them (should have written it down, thought I could remember it. yeah right!). Don't know if I could even get replacement brushes, IF they are the problem. I suspect I'll have to make a rolling trash can out of it and get a new one. The Rigid seems to get good reviews, especially for general shop clean-up.

Chip Lindley
03-02-2011, 6:05 PM
IF Carbonbrush.com does not have ShopVac brushes listed, you can always use your brushes measurements to find what you need with suitable connector wires if yours use those. It's not rocket surgery!

I'm just not a proponent of our disposable society if i dont have to be! I found brushes at Carbonbrush.com for a 20-year old Skil 4-1/2" side grinder. New brushes, and the little grinder lives again! As said, many older tools are light-years ahead of what is currently available. Bearings, brushes, or a trigger switch and they run like a champ!

shane lyall
03-02-2011, 9:07 PM
You can also try ereplacementparts.com. I've ordered parts from the several times over the years and they have exploded diagrams of most tools also.

Rick Moyer
03-03-2011, 9:50 AM
Chip, thanks for the carbon brushes link. Unfortunately, I still don't know what ones might work. They may have what I need but no part numbers match and my measuring might not be exact enough. Plus I have no idea what length I should have. My brushes have a 236S number on them, and are about 1/4 x 3/8, or maybe .245 x .370. The spring has no clip or anything on the end, it is held in by tabs mounted on the end of the housing. I'm not inclined to spend $10 or $20 to chance getting what I need and then it not work anyway. How does one determine if brushes are in fact worn out? Mine are still at least 1/2" long so they are not ground down to the bottom. if I knew I was getting the correct ones I would try brushes, but I'm not sure. Is close "close enough"?

Shane, that site doesn't list my model number. Probably only current models. Looks useful for future reference though.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
The noise is definitely coming from the commutator/brushes or the armature. I only know basics about electric motors and cannot tell what exactly is the problem.

Remove the brushes. Now, turn on the vacuum. If the vacuum no longer makes the noise, then you need new brushes. :D

Rick Moyer
03-03-2011, 1:07 PM
Remove the brushes. Now, turn on the vacuum. If the vacuum no longer makes the noise, then you need new brushes. :D

You funny man! :)

Rick Moyer
03-04-2011, 5:09 PM
Stopped by a local motor repair place today with one of my brushes, explained what I had and the issue I had. He said that Shop Vac makes their own motors, and brushes were not available (thru them at least), and that he didn't think the brushes were the problem anyway by the looks of the one I had with me. He said it was likely a problem with the armature or commutator. I hadn't taken the assembly along, only one brush.
Long story short, I had already purchased a Rigid 1450 yesterday thinking I likely might not be able to fix mine, and as it turns out I won't be fixxing it. So, I will take the advice of saving the hose, etc. and gaining a new rolling trash can! Actually it will likely be a rolling some-other-type-of-storage can, unless anyone has some better recommendation for it's use.
Thanks for all your input.

btw, the new Rigid is MUCH quieter than the old Shop Vac. Will have to wait for any other comparisons.

Kim Trower
11-22-2019, 9:19 PM
I found this site/thread while searching for repairs to a screeching ShopVac. I read all comments & several YouTube videos later, I was able to repair mine for less than $4! The guy in video shows a worn out bushing. The part it fits in is made to house a bearing which lasts much longer. I ordered a 608 2rs bearing, followed his instructions & my vac is working again. I have pics but dont see option here. Her is the link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwNpwQrDjvyTbr97naDFqmo5YN_OeTD6

Steven Cooper2
11-22-2019, 10:14 PM
I picked up a shop vac off the curb a few weeks back and fired it up and it made a horrid noise, so I did what most suggested and tore into it.

In my case the shop vac impeller had fatigued and was barely attached. I happened to have a spare shop vac head that was missing a can so I swapped in that impeller, it was about the same size and had no clearance issues. Now it works fine.

You might be able to tell if this is going on by listening for a crunching noise if you push on the impeller off center.

Or go the trash can route, they are great for that.

Bill Dufour
11-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Note that vacs are very high rpm so the bearings need to be at least that rpm or more. I would guess 15,000 RPM or more. Many bearings are rated for 5,000 rpm or less.
Bill D.

Rod Sheridan
11-23-2019, 8:31 AM
I wouldn’t repair an old shop vacuum, I do however like the suggestion of converting it to a rolling trash can, that was very creative.

Most shop vcuum’s are noisy and have poor filtration, failure of one is an opportunity to buy a new better one, preferably HEPA rated.

Your lungs will thank you......Regards, Rod

Ole Anderson
11-23-2019, 8:48 AM
Why can't they put decent sealed bearings in shop vacs? Or at least make the bronze bearings in most of them easily to lube. I was able to find a new motor for an old bearing-noisy ShopVac years ago. Three years later it was back to it's old ways. I have a wall mounted garage ShopVac that sees little use, but the bearings are gone it it too, but I just put up with it. Current vac is a bigger Craftsman which seems to be holding together fine so far. Probably five years old. I would never buy another ShopVac brand vacuum. Ridgid would be my current choice if my Craftsman ever fails. I believe the issue is that the motors spin at very high rpm's (think max router speed or higher) and as once the bearings wear a bit, it allows the rotor to go slightly off balance, wobbling in the bearings, which just starts trashing what is left of the bearings. Difficult to balance a fan turning that fast.