PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2011, 5:57 PM
Cathy here is that piece of burl you sent. I was beginning to wonder at first as there was a lot of creaky, cracky sounds as I was turning the outside. So decided duct tape was in order especially with the one piece being a little loose even with some CA. I turned it a little thicker than I like at 1/4" but it did turn out nicely. Turned a little southwest style with this one. This one will go in my display case never to be sold. It is 8 1/4" across and 4" high. It has one coat of AO on it with 2 or 3 more to come. Probably no buffing on this one.

Cathy thank you very much. It was a fun peice to turn.

dan carter
03-01-2011, 7:04 PM
That is a real beauty Bernie. Nice shape, Cathy's wood has a full measure of character. Some turnings are best not to sold. This one sure qualifies.

bob svoboda
03-01-2011, 7:06 PM
Great job Bernie. That wood speaks to me!

Jon Lanier
03-01-2011, 7:08 PM
I never knew the Duct tape trick. That that is a good idea.
Very nice piece, Bernie!

David E Keller
03-01-2011, 7:27 PM
That's pretty cool, Bernie. I love the swirls in that little natural depression in the fourth pic. No shortage of character in that piece.

John Keeton
03-01-2011, 7:36 PM
Bernie, I looked up "gnarly" in the dictionary and there was a pic of this piece!!! Wow, what character! Nice job turning this one to get the most out of it.

Ken Glass
03-01-2011, 7:50 PM
Bernie,
You did that piece justice. Love the shape and rugged wood. Well Done.

Michael James
03-01-2011, 8:05 PM
Great job Bernie! You turned that nasty, gnarly chunk o' oak into a beautiful piece. The form is perfect for that - it's definitely a keeper for sure.
Congrats to you and the donor! :D

Cathy Schaewe
03-01-2011, 8:26 PM
Wow, I thought that piece was a lot more solid than that. I was thinking I sent you the piece with the most figure that didn't have much in inclusions! Guess that shows me ... that wood has been crazy stuff. I've turned the last of it, and now I've got another oak burl in my sights - the snow just has to drop enough for me to get to it!

You did a beautiful job with that, and I like the form a lot - I'm glad it made it through, and that you like it!

Keith E Byrd
03-01-2011, 8:42 PM
Great job! I really like the form and character of this piece.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2011, 8:52 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. It certainly was gnarly and light cuts were in order especially on the inside. I was afraid a couple of pieces were going to fly if I didn't do something so duct tape it was. That is a trick a old turner near here showed me and it worked well. I have to tell you I love this piece.

Cathy the reason I said it wouldn't be sold is because when Mary Ann saw it, it became hers. So it will sit proudly in our display case. Cathy thank you again from us both.

Brian McInturff
03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice piece Bernie. How was the oak on the tools?

Don Alexander
03-01-2011, 11:28 PM
yet another gorgeous piece of Cathy's oak burl and you did a magnificent job turning it, Bernie

Rick Markham
03-02-2011, 3:29 AM
Bernie, that is spectacular... I agree with David, that depression with the swirly grain pattern is absolutely spectacular! I'm not sure if there are words to describe it, I've never seen anything like it. Definitely a keeper! Great lookin Burl Cathy!!!

Out of curiosity Bernie, in the area of the depression, is there a density or textural difference in the wood in that area? It almost appears to be a delicate web (for lack of a better word) suspended.

steven carter
03-02-2011, 8:44 AM
Very nice HF Bernie! I can see why your wife has latched onto it, I do not blame her at all. What PF rating would you give this one? PF being pucker factor of course, a factor of 1 having a completely relaxed sphincter and a 10 being completely clinched.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Nice piece Bernie. How was the oak on the tools?

The oak wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I sharpened my tools maybe one or two times more than I normally would but I think that may have been because of a lot of bark.

Bernie, that is spectacular... I agree with David, that depression with the swirly grain pattern is absolutely spectacular! I'm not sure if there are words to describe it, I've never seen anything like it. Definitely a keeper! Great lookin Burl Cathy!!!

Out of curiosity Bernie, in the area of the depression, is there a density or textural difference in the wood in that area? It almost appears to be a delicate web (for lack of a better word) suspended.

There is not much difference. It is hard and solid like the rest but does have a different textural look to it. It looks like a maze of webs.

Very nice HF Bernie! I can see why your wife has latched onto it, I do not blame her at all. What PF rating would you give this one? PF being pucker factor of course, a factor of 1 having a completely relaxed sphincter and a 10 being completely clinched.

Steven I would say the PF was about a 7 at times especially when you could hear those cracky sounds.

Thanks again for the comments.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow - what an interesting hollow form! Definitely a showpiece! Did you have any problem removing the duct tape? I would think it would leave all sorts of residue.

Glad you were successful on this one! Lots of character!

Brian Effinger
03-02-2011, 1:53 PM
That's a nice piece, Bernie. I bet there was some white knuckle turning here. :D

Dick Wilson
03-02-2011, 2:12 PM
Bernie, Ahhhh, that old duct tape. What a marvelous turning necessity at times. I like that you left it thick as the widest part so you wouldn't go through the flat area cuz there is beautiful grain patterns there. Nice work!!

Tony De Masi
03-02-2011, 4:09 PM
Nice work and save Bernie. I hope you kept that 3M on at all times with this one.

Rick Markham
03-02-2011, 4:42 PM
A maze (Amaze :D) of webs is a great description of it Bernie! Spectacular definitely!

Cathy Schaewe
03-02-2011, 5:10 PM
Did you have any problem removing the duct tape? I would think it would leave all sorts of residue.

Steve, several of the pieces of this oak burl that I turned required duct tape to hold them together. I put blue painters tape on first, and then the duct tape. No residue problems that way.

Brian McInturff
03-02-2011, 5:38 PM
About duct tape: The blue painters tape is a good idea. What I have used is shrink wrap. And on occasion have used duct tape over the shrink wrap. I got the idea several years ago when I received some burls and they were wrapped in shrink wrap. Light bulb came on! The good thing about shrink wrap is it was cheap and didn't stick to the wood like tape.
Bernie, I'm looking forward to seeing this piece when you get the rest of the finish on. Oak burl is one of my favorite woods and yours has some very unusual characteristics. Please post pics when you finish the finish.

Lupe Duncan
03-02-2011, 5:55 PM
WOW really nice Bernie.
I love the grain of the oak in the indention.

Mark Hubl
03-02-2011, 8:37 PM
That came out very good Bernie. Nice looking burl and form. +1 on using shrink wrap.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks again to all.

Steve I didn't have a problem at all with the duct tape leaving a sticky residue. Or at least I never noticed it. Of course I did some sanding after I removed the tape and maybe that took it off.

Brian normally I do use saran wrap but the wife was out so decided to just do it. The tape came off just fine as far as I could tell.

Tony the tape stayed on till the whole inside was finished. I removed it and did some sanding on the outside.

Roland Martin
03-03-2011, 7:19 PM
That's a very nice turning Bernie. Excellent form, and the character is awesome.

charlie knighton
03-03-2011, 7:25 PM
very nice, Bernie, duct tape is a must for turners

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2011, 7:31 PM
Thanks Roland and Charlie. Yes Charlie on this one it definitely was a must.