PDA

View Full Version : Which way up?

Larry Pickering
03-01-2011, 4:30 PM
I was getting ready to drill my entrance hole for this Manzanita hf, when I noticed the upside down shape. Now I can't decide which way I want the top. any suggestions?

Larry

Jon Nuckles
03-01-2011, 4:34 PM
On shape alone, I prefer the first. I will defer to others with more experience on the best display of the voids and which way it is most likely to stay in one piece while turning it.

Michael E. Thompson
03-01-2011, 4:56 PM
I think you will get several opinions..... but IMHO the first picture. I tend to like the wider part of the form towards the top. Depending on the top curve the other way can look frumpy to me. Nothing more than an opinion.

Good luck.

bob svoboda
03-01-2011, 5:00 PM
Another free opinion and worth every cent-#1

John Keeton
03-01-2011, 5:06 PM
Well, let me step to the side and be different! Given the options, I find #1 to be a little tall/deep for my tastes. I think #2 has some real potential to be an entirely different looking form with a little tweaking. It shows the voids much better, and if the top were pulled in a little, you might end up with a lot of NE from the voids. Pretty hard to tell without seeing all sides.

Just a thought - and, worth the same as the others!!:D

Jon Prouty
03-01-2011, 5:25 PM
you would have some refining of the form to go with #2 - I would stay with #1 and see how it goes.

JP

Dick Wilson
03-01-2011, 5:44 PM
Larry,

I think I am going to agree with John on this one. #2. The reason being that there will be two voids, that I can see. These to me are an asset to this piece of wood. If you go with #1 they will be on the bottom with less visually impact. I would turn a tenon on the top of pic #1. If possible make the tenon width wide enough so you can use that as a "base" to lift the piece off the table. Hope this helps.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2011, 5:59 PM
I have to agree with #2. Your voids will be better shown that way.