PDA

View Full Version : DMT Extra extra fine diamond stone vs japanese water stones...

Sean Rainaldi
03-01-2011, 4:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has compared a high quality japanese water stone to the DMT 8000 grit stone?

I like the maintainence free idea with the DMT...

The folks at DMT claim their 8000 grit sharpens as good as the best japanese water stone and stays flat...

Also they claim it's noproblem jumping from their extra fine 1200 grit right up to the 8000 in one leap...

Mike Ruggeri
03-01-2011, 4:45 PM
I can't comment on the DMT 8000 stone, but my buddy has their extra fine stone and jumps from that to a 8000 grit Norton waterstone. He is happy with that combination and gets good results.

Todd Bin
03-01-2011, 5:13 PM
I would suggest that you pose this same question to the nuckle draggers over in Neandertal Haven. They use waterstones much more the people who use electrons.

Stephen Cherry
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Another option would be the diamond to ceramic. I use the spyderco, and its pretty sharp enough. I'm not a fanatic though. Also, the ceramic stone can be sharpened with the diamond stones. That said, my dmt stones are nice, and I like them, but they are not really flat.

sunny nic
03-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Another option would be the diamond to ceramic. I use the spyderco, and its pretty sharp enough. I'm not a fanatic though. Also, the ceramic stone can be sharpened with the diamond stones. That said, my dmt stones are nice, and I like them, but they are not really flat.

sounds u have amazing dmt stones

Stephen Cherry
03-02-2011, 10:53 AM
sounds u have amazing dmt stones

Oops-- the diamond stone will flatten the ceramic