PDA

View Full Version : Urethane rubber????

Charity Newland
03-01-2011, 4:06 PM
I have a customer that is wanting some shape cut out of .25 urethane rubber 25 durometer. I have a 25 watt laser. When I try a cut it, it either melts p-100 s1.5 or melts after more then one pass p-80 s-5. this stuff is pretty pricey, so I don't want to trail an error to much. any help would be great. I just wish I could have some customers that wanted something easy.

thanks,
Charity

Mike Null
03-01-2011, 4:36 PM
Charity

I have no experience with cutting that material but have found that the Synrad people will try to help if you give them a call.

http://www.synrad.com/search_apps/Default.htm

Mark Giese
03-01-2011, 5:54 PM
Charity, Are you willing to share your source for the rubber? looking for strips to make non marking chair feet. Thanks,

Mark

Charity Newland
03-01-2011, 6:52 PM
Mark- Bo @ thunder Technologies 245-844-4675. An 8x10 sheet was about $170. but I'm guess you would get something not as soft as what i ordered. I also have a source in NC and i think they are a bit cheaper. and let me know if you have any idea how to cut this stuff.

George Brown
03-17-2011, 6:50 PM
Charity, video here cutting urethane rubber key pads: http://www.synrad.com/Applications/video_clips.htm

Looks really messy though.

Richard Rumancik
03-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Charity, have you tried to focus half way into the material? Not sure if that will do it or not. Use lots of exhaust air. But you probably want to do it in one pass or it will smoke too much and with rubber there is more risk of the kerf closing up on itself. If that happens the second pass is not very productive.

I know what you mean about getting some easy jobs - sometimes a job seems like too much R&D for the $&¢. Hang in there.

Joe Pelonio
03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Too thick, it melts at too low a temperature, I wouldn't try it. You can do up to 1/16" or less and that's about it.
With more power you could go fast and do it but not with 25 watts. Always do a test prior to a quote and if
you can, charge them for the test to cover time and materials.