PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see what I'm doing when I'm not woodworking?

Mike Cruz
03-01-2011, 3:59 PM
This time of year keeps me out of the shop. Even if it isn't actually racing, it is thinking about it. Some of you may have noticed that I've been a little absent around here, too. (Maybe even relieved...:rolleyes:) We're coming to a end for ski racing right about now. This racing is called NASTAR. It stands for NAtional STAndard Racing. It uses a handicap system to place you among those of your age, gender, and ability.

I grew up skiing from the age of 9. A knee injury (abuse from skiing and volleyball while in college) kept me from tackling the slops. I "gave it up" until one day in my mid thirties. I went skiing with the full intention of just sticking to the intermediate slopes and taking it easy. Boredom set in within an hour. I was dragged to the race venue kicking and screaming. I had never done it, and had no interest. After my first run, I was hooked! You thing turning wood is a vortex...HA! Anyway, seven years later, here I am, a Nastar junkie.

One of the exciting parts of Nastar is, if you qualify, you are invited to the Nastar National Championships. It is held in out West, usually in Colorado. Over 1000 racers from 3 years old to 93 years young, from all over the country converge at a venue (this year at Winter Park, CO) to compete. It is an absolute blast. I went in '06, and while I've qualified every year (except for one, because of a back injury and I didn't ski that year), I haven't had the opportunity to return. Well, this year, the stars aligned and I will be headed West with my brother and mom in the end of March. The likelihood of getting to the podium is slim (the Men's 40-44 Divisions are usually very tough). But it is more about the experience, camaraderie, and fun.

We held a little local race of Nastar Forum member this past weekend. We had a guy videotape us. After we came out of the starting gate, he skied right down the middle of the course about a gate behind us, to film each of us. We did it as an instructional lesson. You never look like you think you look.

Anyway, here is a link to thread that we posted the videos. I am Putterman, in the black suit with red helmet.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Nastar other than someone that enjoys participating in it. I am sharing this with all of you because I consider you an extended family and I like to share. This is not a campaign to recruit or solicit. I just figured some background on what it was that I was doing was in order. Otherwise, you might wonder what a bunch of guys in skintight suits are doing. :D

http://forums.nastar.com/showthread.php?2941-Mid-Atlantic-Forum-Gathering-2010-2011/page12

Larry Edgerton
03-01-2011, 4:12 PM
Very cool!

It was enduro bikes for me, sucked me right in.......

My daughter is out in Winter Park, has lived there for several years now. Nice place, you need to make sure you make it there. Go down to Fraizer, down the hill a bit and have a nice relaxed dinner at "The Creek". Thats where she works.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2011, 4:29 PM
Very cool Mike! I always try to hit those slopes before they remove the flags and once they have closed it off. I say every time I go, "I'm going to do NASTAR today" and I never do.

Where was that taken at? Wisp? Whitetail?

Peter Elliott
03-01-2011, 4:33 PM
ooohh,, ooh let me guess.

You fly to Vail and buy ski outfits.. ya.. that's my guess and I'm sticking too it..

That's not really you in the black outfit.. and I thought this would have had horse pictures..

my bad..

Mad -Elf

Mike Cruz
03-01-2011, 6:09 PM
Thanks, Larry, I'll have to check the place out if I get a chance. If I do, I'll try to waive down an employee that looks like a woodworker's daughter and say "Hi" from her dad. :D You sound a little biased about the place, but I would expect nothing less from a proud dad. And I won't hold it against you...or the restaurant. ;)

Scott, yeah, that was at Wisp. Hey, you have to let me know the next time you go skiing. I'd be happy to introduce you to racing. It really is fun...for all levels and all ages.

Peter, what can I say...other than I love your new sig...:D it fits you.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2011, 6:13 PM
I'll may do that Mike! We managed to get to 7 springs a couple of weeks ago. I love the right hand side of that place. Left side..........not so much :)

Mike Cruz
03-01-2011, 8:22 PM
I haven't been to SS since I was a kid. Might try to get there someday. But since I pretty much only race, I try to stay as local as I can.

Phil Thien
03-01-2011, 8:32 PM
You could combine hobbies, and make your own skis!

Mike Cruz
03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Hehe, Phil, guess what...?

Ok, it's a plaque for an annual race that I attend, but it came out really great (IIMSSM). The race had been held for 20 some odd years but they never had a plaque of running winners. Well, after I won that race the first year I participated in it, then my brother won it the next year, we thought there ought to be a plaque for past winners...:D So, I contacted the guy and asked him if I could make and donate a plaque. He was honored, and this was the result. It is walnut. It is parabolic and has camber, just like a real ski. The first pic is of the presentation of the ski plaque. The second one is of the ski plaque on a wall at my house, for picture only. The ski plaque resides at the venue where the Race ceremony is held.

Phil Thien
03-02-2011, 9:26 AM
Mike, that plaque is outstanding. What an excellent idea.

Mike Cruz
03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks, Phil. I have to admit, it turned out to be much more of a project than I had anticipated. But it hangs proudly. Each year, when I put up the new nameplate (for last year's winners), a crowd of children forms around me.

When I was presenting the ski plaque, the organizer of the event was VERY surprised. I'm not quite sure why... I had asked him if I could make the plaque, he said yes. I told him abou the idea of it being the shape of a ski, he said that sounded good. When I showed up with it, his eyes got the size of saucers. For some reason, he was expecting it to be the "shape" of a ski, but the size of a normal plaque. Not sure how we would fit 20 some odd years of previous winners and an untold number of future winners on a 12-14" ski... In my mind, it was the only fitting way to do it.

Phil Thien
03-03-2011, 9:49 AM
When I was presenting the ski plaque, the organizer of the event was VERY surprised. I'm not quite sure why... I had asked him if I could make the plaque, he said yes. I told him abou the idea of it being the shape of a ski, he said that sounded good. When I showed up with it, his eyes got the size of saucers. For some reason, he was expecting it to be the "shape" of a ski, but the size of a normal plaque. Not sure how we would fit 20 some odd years of previous winners and an untold number of future winners on a 12-14" ski... In my mind, it was the only fitting way to do it.

I agree. The shape and size lend themselves to listing many years of winners. How many years do you figure you'll be able to display before another ski is needed?

bob svoboda
03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Very cool Mike. If I tried that I would be back in the shop trying to turn a cast :eek:

Mike Cruz
03-03-2011, 1:05 PM
Hmmmm, a wooden cast. I guess that gives new meaning to hollow form, huh? :D

Phil, there are 40 nameplates. I think we just had the 30th anniversary of the race this year. So, it'll be another 10 years or so. And actually, they couldn't find the info for the first 7 years or so. So, if in 10 years, they don't have those names, I'll be more likely to move all the nameplates up to extend the life of this ski for as many years as possible. ;)

Mike Cruz
03-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Larry, my brother and I will probably like to take our mom out one night. Where is the restaurant?