PDA

View Full Version : On the Sole or on the Side?

Jim Koepke
03-01-2011, 2:47 PM
I am just curious about what others do.

This isn't a critical issue, I would just like to know what others think about whether a plane should be set on the bench on its sole or on its side.

In my upbringing it was alway lay it on its side.

Now people are saying that the bench should not hurt the blade if it is set down on its sole.

My question is what about the damage the blade can do to the top of the bench?

So, my planes tend to get set down on their sides if there isn't a block of wood sitting on the bench to elevate the blade so it will not cut into the surface of the bench.

There is the safety issue of brushing flesh on the blade when it is laying on its side. I do have experience with this. It seems like one of those things you only need to do once before you learn to think about the things on the bench before putting your hand down.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
03-01-2011, 3:32 PM
on the sole on a pile of shavings!

Matt Radtke
03-01-2011, 3:43 PM
Schwarz answered this very nicely in his three-part video on YouTube.

In summary, the whole "set the plane on it's side" came from shop classes, which were mostly geared towards carpentry. There is no historical evidence that putting planes on their sides was the correct thing to do in the shop. In fact, on the side might be less safe, as you have now exposed the cutting edge, which makes it easier to cut you.

Note that I say "in the shop." Back to shop class carpenters: When you're on the jobsite, setting a plane sole down might very well chip the blade or damage something else, say flooring or trim.

As far as damaging the bench--who cares? Nearly everything you do damages the bench at some point. Just plane it away whenever you reflatten.

Niels Cosman
03-01-2011, 3:48 PM
Hey Jim,
I am in the habit of placing planes on their sides, simply to avoid the the other things on the metal things on bench (rulers, chisels, screws, benchappliances etc.) often obscured by shavings and mess. The issues however were been largely alleviated when I built my plane till and placed it directly next to my bench. I'm still training myself to put the tools right back when i'm finished with them (easier said than done-and i still need to make more wall storage). However, on downside to resting planes on their sides seems to be that you are exposing it to things bumping into the blade while doing other tasks.

I don't really worry too much about my damage to the benchtop, it's hard maple and it's pretty good at catching a beating from time to time.

john brenton
03-01-2011, 4:32 PM
On it's side. No particular reason., no particular credo. It just feels unnatural to set the plane down on the sole.

Casey Gooding
03-01-2011, 4:38 PM
Do whatever works for you.

geoff wood
03-01-2011, 4:43 PM
in the field--on its side..... on my bench i put it down on its sole. putting it on its side just takes too much out of the flow of benchwork. i know there are no rocks or dirt on my bench, unlike in the field.

David Weaver
03-01-2011, 5:01 PM
I've never really thought about it, but all of mine end up on their sides until they make their way back into my dry area (basement) from the shop (garage). They sit on plastic racks in the basement, and I let them dig in to those.

The times I haven't, I haven't exactly noticed a difference in edge holding.

Greg Wease
03-01-2011, 5:03 PM
On the sole, preferrably on a scrap of wood. It is too easy to bump into the blade with another tool risking damage to both with the plane on its side.

Johnny Kleso
03-01-2011, 5:28 PM
My Bench is wood and most times full of nice soft fluffy chips..
I find exposing the blade more likely to getting dinged by another plane or tool than setting in on the sole

Gary Hodgin
03-01-2011, 6:10 PM
I place mine on the sole with a thin strip of wood (1/8 " thick plywood) just in front of the mouth. On the side has too much blade exposure for me.

Don Orr
03-01-2011, 9:27 PM
I was taught in shop class to rest them on their sides. Now I set them on their soles on some shavings or a piece of wood under the toe.

glenn bradley
03-01-2011, 9:33 PM
I wasn't taught but, I set them on their side. Just seemed logical as I have an MDF benchtop.

Don Dorn
03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I made a dumb little box with no top or bottom that is about 7" by 4" and an inch or so high. It hangs on a nail attached to the box that holds bench dogs so it be grabbed in a second. I set the sole on that - no exposed blade and not down on anything that dings the edge.

george wilson
03-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I lay them on their side. It takes a nano second to do it. I noticed a wood chisel in a Pop.Woodworking article laying cutting edge down on the bench. Should be laid edge up. I also always lay my dial calipers FACE DOWN carefully,to not scratch the crystal. I do this to keep little chips,etc. from getting into the rack. Starrett was very slow to come out of the stone age and make covered racks like everyone else was doing. But,if the caliper is open at all,some rack is exposed.

Frank Drew
03-02-2011, 12:52 AM
On their sides, mostly; maybe because I've also spent lots of time on jobsites, and you NEVER lay a plane down on its sole when you're on a job.

I've got a friend who always backs the blade back into the plane body, so it won't get nicked, he says. Seems dumb and a time-waster since you're just going to have to advance it again soon and fiddle around to get it set where you want; keep your settings and just be careful, I tell him.

James Owen
03-02-2011, 1:07 AM
Most of the time, on the side; every once in a while, I'll put them sole down on a small block of wood to elevate the iron off the bench.

.....Speaking of watching where one puts one's hands: several years ago, I made a small rack to lay chisels on while they're on the bench, specifically to keep them organised, the cutting edge(s) oriented in one direction, and to help prevent damage to the edge(s) and to my appendages.... (don't ask me how I came to the conclusion that I needed this appliance.....) :o

Norman Hitt
03-02-2011, 3:09 AM
In our area when I grew up, I would have got my Butt kicked Royally if I EVER laid a plane down on it's sole, (not only by my dad, but by any relative OR other carpenter that happened to see me). I would also have gotten the "Priviledge" of honing OR resharpening the blade (whichever "They" deemed appropriate, to help me remember), and believe me when I say that I became a FAST Learner on how to lay a plane down.

If you were right handed you laid the plane off to your right, perpendicular to the workpiece on it's left side, (blade away from you) OR on it's left side in front of you beyond the workpiece and parallel to it, (blade away from you). The exact opposite if you were left handed. Back then, I never saw anyone do it differently, but most work was done at a job site and I never saw anyone do it differently when they were in a shop.

I guess the "Training) stuck, 'cause I still do it that way. I kinda wish I hadn't been such a fast learner though, 'csause I might be better at hand sharpening now IF I had gotten more practise at it back then.

Mike Holbrook
03-02-2011, 9:57 AM
I have converted the wife's old jewelry cabinet to a cabinet for holding chisels and planes. The planes & chisels reside in drawers that can be moved around the shop. The drawers fit well under my workbench. Then there is the tool cavity in my work bench to lay them in while I work. I use a wall mounting surface called storeWALL that will support shelves. It is on the walls next to my Festool MFT Table and my workbench.... I have mobile, vinyl covered, metal shelves made from small bars that work well to hold planes in on the storeWALL. The devices I use make it easy to lay the plane down on the sole without problems.

jamie shard
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
on the sole on a pile of shavings!

+1

I don't like it on the side, my knuckle skin winces at the sight of it. :D Plus the blade can be nicked by metal tools in the near vincinity.

Dave Anderson NH
03-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Neither!!!! I always put the plane right back in the till when I'm finished with it keeping the bench clear of clutter. If you believe "always", I just might be able to sell you a Spiers #7 infill NIB in perfect condition for $5. Sort of the woodworker's version of the Brooklyn Bridge deal.

george wilson
03-02-2011, 6:39 PM
Nothing wrong with laying the plane on shavings,OR setting the end on a thin piece of wood. I've done that,too. As long as I don't lay the blade down where it might encounter abrasive dust,etc.

Dan Andrews
03-03-2011, 3:48 PM
On its side, sole away from where I am working.

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2011, 5:50 PM
Both, depending on what the situation is. If I'm on a bench with a lot going on I'll set it on its sole to keep it and me from getting nicked. In the van they go on the console on a rubber pad, sole down because they ride better. If I am working somewhere dirty, they go on their side. I don't have hard and fast rules because I am all over the map. I don't like to sharpen any more than anyone else, but they are not my kids, they are just tools.

Some of you guys would cringe if you saw some of the things I ask my planes to do. They are just a means to an end.