PDA

View Full Version : Giving oil & wax finished furniture as a gift

Ben Beckham
03-01-2011, 1:43 PM
Hello all! First proud post as a member here from Orlando, FL.

I just finished building a small shaker-ish side table in a beautiful curly cherry with two curly maple drawers. I finished it like I do practically all my furniture, with daily coats of Watco Danish Oil, wet-sanding every day from 320 up to 2000 grit and topping it all off with a coat of clear Briwax.

I give away almost all of my furniture to family and friends for various occasions, and I'm always concerned about the care they will receive over their lifetime. I think I'm going to include a small gift-bag with this one containing maintenance and proper care items.

What do you guys think ought to be in that gift bag?

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
03-01-2011, 5:35 PM
First off Ben, welcome!

Second, as you'll soon learn here, if we don't see a picture of that nice piece of furniture . . . YOU didn't build it!! :D:D

I'd give them a bit of the wax you used, some instructions on what kinds of use/abuse this table will take with that beautiful but not so protective Watco finish. If you really wanted to go all out, I guess you could give them a pint of Watco in the flavor you used and let them know how to repair should that need arise.

Again, welcome to the Creek! It's a great place to learn and contribute.

Jeff

Ben Beckham
03-01-2011, 7:09 PM
Here's a few pictures off the phone. I'm not a photographer by any means, but hopefully y'all get the general idea. The flash really detracts from the grain patterns. Drawers are dovetailed all around with walnut sides and pine bottoms. I lined the bottoms with blue velvet because it's the recipient's favorite color. Pegged mortise and tenon aprons. The little feet are doweled into the rest of the leg. All done by hand. Knobs from Horton Brasses.

Jim Becker
03-01-2011, 9:37 PM
I think it's an excellent and thoughtful idea to include a "care and feeding" note along with samples of the things you suggest they use to maintain their beautiful new furniture for a lifetime. There is so much "creative marketing" out there that otherwise, they are bound to use something that is either ineffective or even damaging. And...that's a really nice piece in your photos!

Jim Rimmer
03-02-2011, 1:33 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Great table.

Tony Bilello
03-03-2011, 11:38 AM
QUOTE=Ben Beckham;1649601]..... I give away almost all of my furniture ... and I'm always concerned about the care they will receive ........[/QUOTE]

I guess I will be the damp rag in this thread. First of all, I dont think it is ever a good idea to give a gift that needs constant care. As a woodworkker you might like the oil and wax finish but the vast majority of Americans don't. If they did, you would see it in all of the furniture stores. Stores sell what actually 'sells'.
People are not going to change their habits of sitting coffee, cold drinks and the likes on furniture. Oil and wax has virtually no protection.
This is my personal opinion.

BTW, really good lookin' stuff.

Ben Beckham
03-03-2011, 2:47 PM
People are not going to change their habits of sitting coffee, cold drinks and the likes on furniture.

Good point. There actually is 2 coats of dewaxed clear shellac between the oil and wax, but it's probably negligible as far as protection against humans.

I just can't bring myself to do much of anything else on these pieces yet. Kinda like putting ketchup on a great steak, ya know? Any ideas on how to get a people-proof and oil-like finish without the rooms-to-go thick film look?

Tony Bilello
03-03-2011, 5:38 PM
http://woodfinishersdepot.com/solvents-additives-36/universal-flattening-compound-619.htmlI only use lacquer and for lacquer there are "flattening agents" you can use to give the finish that oil and wax look and feel. It's the same stuff they put in Gloss lacquer to make it satin. By buying the flattening agent, you can control the sheen right down to 'dead flat'. I think the stuff is actually mica particles or stearates suspended in a jelly like substance. It comes in a can. The attached Product Data Sheet (PDS) says this particular product is only good for solvent based finishes. I'm sure that there is something similar that can be used for Shellac. Call Gemini and ask them. I think their tel number is on the attachment.http://search.gemini-coatings.com/DataSheets/PDS/L7250-50%20(UNIVERSAL%20FLATTENING%20AGENT).pdf. (http://search.gemini-coatings.com/DataSheets/PDS/L7250-50%20%28UNIVERSAL%20FLATTENING%20AGENT%29.pdf)
This stuff works real well when used as directed. It actually feels like an oil and waxed finish. Read the PDS even if you cant use it. It will still give you some insight as to what's out there.

BTW, shellac is not the greatest finish there is, but is is eons ahead of just oil and wax alone.

Did I mention ......"nice work"?

http://woodfinishersdepot.com/solvents-additives-36/universal-flattening-compound-619.html I forgot to add this also. This is who I buy my chemicals from. They use mostly Gemini products and put their own label on it. This info is interesting.

Scott Holmes
03-03-2011, 9:42 PM
Shellac Flat is what I use in shellac to flatten the sheen; anything from semi-gloss to dead flat. I think I got it from Homestead.