PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Turning Black Walnut

Douglas Quetin
03-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I ended up with a 220 lb black walnut piece that I want to handle with a PM 3804B. It's about 28" in diameter, a good 12" larger than anything I've tackled yet. Any advice is welcome. I did just buy the (rather pricey) outboard turning stand.

Michael James
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Doug, a pic is just about necessary for your request. Welcome and good luck.
mj

bob svoboda
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Agree a pic would help. Would also like a pic of the lathe-never heard of that model.

Tim Thiebaut
03-01-2011, 2:40 PM
I am sorry that I cant help with any advice, I am very new to turning, but as the others have said I would love to see a picture of this piece of wood mounted on your lathe ready to go if you could take one.

dan carter
03-01-2011, 4:07 PM
I suspect your are talking about a 3502B Powermatic? Using the outboard stand may well be an adventure for you if you've never used a stand before. Interesting that you chose it instead of the extention. I prefer to use the extension if I can, rather than the outboard stand. Without a picture of the piece of wood, it is with limited advice you may receive. When turning large pieces of wood, be aware that centrifical forces are at play when you are turning off the lathe. The chuck/faceplate you use could unscrew itself from the headstock unless you take precautions. So, slow it down gradually rather than just turning the machine off. If your faceplate has set screws, use them. Good luck on your adventure into big bowl land.

Montgomery Scott
03-01-2011, 4:43 PM
Throw it on the bandsaw and cut it up into 1" boards. Dry it and cut it up for use in segmented turning. The material will go a lot farther and I suspect you'll have fewer problems with handling, turning and drying.

Douglas Quetin
03-01-2011, 9:00 PM
You're right, Dan, PM 3502B. Nice advice on slowing down. That could prove to be quite ugly. My thinking on the out board stand is it seemed to allow more "options". I'll see about posting a photo. Thanks.

Mike Zipparo
03-02-2011, 2:24 AM
I'm no expert on new Powermatic lathes, but I think the lathe you both are talking about is a 3520B (not a 3502B which would imply a whole two inches of swing).

As for turning large diameter work, I prefer the stability of turning between centers, especially for the initial cutting where most pieces are usually at least somewhat out of balance. Taking a little extra time at the blank preparation and mounting steps can help. As mentioned, turning at lower rpms helps too.

Scott Hackler
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Douglas, regarding the wood itself... if it is green, be prepared to coat the tools, the wall, the lathe, the floor and your hands with black walnut juice. Its bad about staining, so for the tools and lathe you might want to spray a thin coat of laquer on the tools (can remove later with laquer thinner), if that kind of thing might bother you. Also, a repsirator is a must. Walnut dust can be very irritating. BUT, walnut turns pretty easy and looks fantastic. Post some pictures so we can enjoy your find.