PDA

View Full Version : new sink in shop

Barry Lyndon
03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Hey all,

I know this isn't exactly woodworking related but it is shop related and I figured you guys may have some ideas for me...I'm installing a deep utility sink in the shop mainly for cleaning parts and cleaning paint off brushes etc... Is there something that I can put in the drain pipe of the sink to catch solids like paint or other stuff that may clog up my house drainage system? Maybe something that I can empty easily every week or so?

I've never done plumbing of any kind before so please forgive me if there is an obvious answer that I just don't know about. This sink will be on the opposite side of the same wall where there is a bathroom sink so I will just be tapping into the supply and drainage already there.

David G Baker
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Restaurants have grease traps that may serve your purpose. I plan on doing the same thing in my basement and using a sump pump to lift the liquids up to ground level after all of the solids have been removed by using a trap of some sort. Laboratories use a separator under the sink that is around the size of a gallon jug to remove most of the solids prior to liquids going into the sewer. Do an Internet search and you should get a general idea.

NICK BARBOZA
03-01-2011, 2:11 PM
Those are called sediment traps. A quick google search turned up this.

Sediment trap LINKY (http://www.denmedpro.com/Trap_Eze_BT_Bottle_Trap_By_Buffalo_Dental_Manufact uring_Co____p6346.html)

This is clearly pretty light duty, but they do make MUCH more commercial duty ones as well (READ:$$$$) made of cast iron etc.

Good luck,
NWB

Barry Lyndon
03-01-2011, 3:27 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info guys! It's often times the terminology that gives me the most trouble when trying to learn about something new. I googled "sink paint trap" and "sink solid filter" and some other stuff that was not giving me the desired results. Both of you have helped greatly, thanks!

David G Baker
03-01-2011, 6:12 PM
I couldn't think of sediment trap either. Terminology is also one of my greatest walls in getting information off of the Internet but that is why we have SMC and all the great folks that reside here.

Gary Benson
03-01-2011, 6:23 PM
We use them in dental offices to trap plaster. The link below shows a pretty reasonable disposable type.

http://buydentalequipment.com/dental-lab-equipment-plaster-traps-c-92_113/buffalo-trap-eze-disposable-plaster-trap-p-868

Good luck,

Gary

glenn bradley
03-05-2011, 12:09 PM
$73.50 plus tax and shipping? I went with $15 at the BORG and an old spaghetti jar.

Ole Anderson
03-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I like Glenn's mason jar sediment trap. But remember it will only catch things that are substantially heavier than water, paint from a brush will go right out with the water and if you are washing parts with a solvent, don't dump it down the sink. Grease traps are intended mainly for fats, greases and oils, not solvents. A grease trap catches floating material, a sediment trap, sinking material. Two different designs, although some are combination units, and work like the baffles in a septic tank.