PDA

View Full Version : gettting the purple back into purpleheart

Nicholas Bukky
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I have some purpleheart that before I ran thru the planer it was bright purple now it is a brownish color. Any ides how to get it back to that color it started as?
I tried sanding and scraping but it did nothing. Am i going to have to buff it of dye it??

Thanks for any help,
Nick

Mike Mastin
03-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Let it sit for a day or so. The purple will be back like magic :) It changes color due to oxidation.

Larry Edgerton
03-01-2011, 11:45 AM
If you want a purple color that lasts, use Bubinga, and spray it with an acid catalized finish. Seems strainge, but it works.

Mike Mastin
03-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Aqua ammonia fumed Purpleheart will turn a cranberry color too :) Like White Oak the tanins in Purpleheart alter the color, in this case to a nice shade of cranberry.

Nicholas Bukky
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Larry I wish that was an option I already have about $500 worth of purpleheart milled to glue up for my client and no budget to change!!

Mike it sat all day yesterday I guess all I can do is wait!! I need it to get back to that rich color it was before so I can finish it!

I will finish the glueup today and then cut the oval out on the cnc along with the tapered bottom edge tomorrow. It will be 72in L x 40in W when done and mounted on a metal base.

Any more advise is truly welcome!!

Thanks,
Nick

Mike Mastin
03-01-2011, 3:56 PM
It should be back to the same color as it was before planing in a few days. Wenge is similar in that after planing too much off it almost looks like a wheat color. A few days and it goes back to the deep dark brown color.

Brian Kent
03-01-2011, 4:09 PM
It will turn purple on its own, then over time change back to a rich purple-brown.