PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Motor Help

Jon Lanier
03-01-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm by no means mechanical. But I could take the leads and attach them. I'm just not sure what to look for to replace this motor that died on me. Attached to my 1958 Shop Master band saw. If I can find one cheap enough to work. It might be well worth having until I can save up for a new bandsaw.

Some of the items I understand... others I've no clue.

Here is the specs on the motor. I'm guessing the Motor is close to 50 years old?

Westinghouse

Motor type: FHT

HP:1/4

Frame:145

RPM: 1725

Cyc: 60

Ph: 1

Volts:110

Amp: 5.1

C: 50

Hours: Continual

Serial: KS

Style: 1177073 A

Lx: 8772

Van Huskey
03-01-2011, 5:34 AM
Given the fact the saw does not attach to the actual saw your options open up and you do not need a NEMA 145 frame motor like what you have.

I would suggest something like a 1/2hp NEMA 56 frame (you can get rid of the clamps and just bolt it down) 1725 RPM motor, shouldn't cost much if any more than the 1/4hp. You could get a TEFC motor but a ODP (open drip proof) will run fine in that application, I am sure that motor you have is probably open. The other thing to check is the shaft size, if you can't find a motor cheap with the same shaft size (to reuse your pulley) you should be able to find the correct sized pulley for about $10.

You should be able to come in under $100 new or lower if you can find one on one of the surplus sites or maybe a LOT better if you search your local Craigs List. A 1/4 to 1/2hp motor should be around 20-30 bucks used.

Peter Quinn
03-01-2011, 6:11 AM
Grizzly sells some inexpensive induction motors that work well and should be suitable for that application. Check the spindle size tonseemif the pulley will fit and get another of those if it won't.

Ed Griner
03-01-2011, 9:32 AM
I would try contacting a local motor shop.There are a lot of options available.You will up and running in no time.
Ed

Jon Lanier
03-01-2011, 7:11 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. This has really helped!

John Toigo
03-01-2011, 7:16 PM
Just about any 1/4 hp motor which spins @ 1725 rpm can work. As has been mentioned try to get one with the same shaft size so you can move the pulley to the new motor. Also check the spin direction of the existing motor and get one that spins the same way.

Curt Harms
03-02-2011, 7:54 AM
Just about any 1/4 hp motor which spins @ 1725 rpm can work. As has been mentioned try to get one with the same shaft size so you can move the pulley to the new motor. Also check the spin direction of the existing motor and get one that spins the same way.

This is a big one. You can get a reversible motor if need be. Like Van says you have lots of mounting options. Do you have a local motor shop? If so, do they have any motors that were repaired and never picked up? I'm glad to see you're fixing this saw up. Didn't you mention it belonged to someone close to You? I have some inherited tools and think of of the relative when I use them. Worth more than the metal & rubber in them.