PDA

View Full Version : First Time Hand Planing!!!

Mark ten Haaf
02-28-2011, 11:58 PM
I made my first curly ribbons today! It probably wasn't necessary, but it was pretty cool. I installed a set of concrete countertops in a customer's home, and I took my new(to me) planer with me just in case the tops of the cabinets needed to be profiled.
In the past, I'd always shimmed the low areas, but I figured I'd get some planing practice and knock down the high areas instead. Any excuse to make some shavings right?
I tell you, it felt great; I think you guys are on to something.:)

keith micinski
03-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Your screwed. I made my first shavings two weeks ago and since then I have learned how to sharpen and been looking for a #4 smoother nonstop. Get out while you still can.

Mark ten Haaf
03-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Your screwed. I made my first shavings two weeks ago and since then I have learned how to sharpen and been looking for a #4 smoother nonstop. Get out while you still can.

Yeah, no kidding. I'm going to Woodcraft today/tomorrow to pick out my birthday present. I guess things are narrowed down a bit now. ;)

Pam Niedermayer
03-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Amazing feeling. I still remember it. Congrats.

Pam

Adam Cormier
03-01-2011, 12:46 AM
It's very addicting and you will find all kinds of reasons to purchase new tools to make more shavings!

Andrew Pitonyak
03-01-2011, 1:33 AM
That is how it starts..... I was so overwhelmed by all the posts (it has to be perfect, you will spend hours tuning your plane and learning to sharpen before you can do anything) . I purchased my first plane, a LN #4 to shave a bit off a door... Five years later I own a #5, #7, #8, block plane, and a miter plane. Oh yeah, and one shoulder plane.

Jim Koepke
03-01-2011, 2:22 AM
Sometimes the shavings can be mesmerizing. Be careful and remember to stop when enough wood has been removed.

DAMHIKT

jtk

Mark ten Haaf
03-01-2011, 9:04 AM
Sometimes the shavings can be mesmerizing. Be careful and remember to stop when enough wood has been removed.

DAMHIKT

jtk

That is hilarious, Jim!

john brenton
03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
It's true. It's real easy to go too far once you get in the rhythm. It'll surprise you to see how fast you can shave an 1/8"....it's really only a couple of passes.

That is hilarious, Jim!

Pat Barry
03-01-2011, 8:24 PM
If you are just starting and are already making curly shavings from concrete you are a savant!

Rick Prosser
03-01-2011, 9:44 PM
I am ready to take the plunge too. I have a #4, #7, and a block plane. They have been tested, but now I just need a project to work.
I wonder what a good first hand plane project would be?

gary Zimmel
03-01-2011, 9:50 PM
Be very careful Mark, those hand tools have a nasty habit of multiplying...

john brenton
03-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Haha, that was a good one. Must be onne of those chinese planes David W Raves about!

If you are just starting and are already making curly shavings from concrete you are a savant!

Joerg Bullmann
03-02-2011, 5:06 AM
I am ready to take the plunge too. I have a #4, #7, and a block plane. They have been tested, but now I just need a project to work.

I wouldn't call it project but I definitely will just be getting some rough stock and try truing it up. Starting on one face and then moving on. Maybe I'll then put a bunch of grooves in with the plough plane. Then I would try repeating this a bunch of times. Oh, the lovely smell of fresh wood shavings. :-) Mind you, I know nothing.

Assuming you are beyond the above stage, something of a real project would be a tray. You could learn making panels out of boards. Bob on the Logan Cabinet Shoppe has a nice podcast about making panels.

J.

Jon Toebbe
03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, but cleaning up any tearout can be a real pain...

Mark ten Haaf
03-02-2011, 1:33 PM
Be very careful Mark, those hand tools have a nasty habit of multiplying...

I can only imagine. I have very few, so I get a lot of enjoyment figuring out how to solve something with the tools I do have.

Dan Andrews
03-03-2011, 3:54 PM

How about a pane till? Allow spaces for the planes you think you will want in the future, and then some space for planes you don't know exist yet.