PDA

View Full Version : Darn! Cool! Darn!

Patrick Doody
02-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Well this has been a fun one. I was just messing around with a small scrap of boxelder, and turned this jar:

While parting off I misjudged where the bottom was and snap... I found the bottom.

I decided to make it a learning experience. and with my limited tools I came up with this:
maple burl patch

I'm not completely happy with it, but it seemed reasonable. I decided it was good enough, so i buffed it, the figure came out nicely and the burl base looked nice. then i go to buff the lid and just before i was done, i sent it flying and when it landed i was looking around for 2 pieces. words were said...
I think i can just glue it back on, but jeeEEEEeez!

Mark Hubl
02-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice save. Came out ok. Most will admit to the learning experiences you have just had. It is amazing how fast the inside can get bigger than the outside. And, why is it when the buffer flings a piece it never lands on something soft, and it always rolls under something!:o

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice box and a nice save. I think we've all been there.

Tim Thiebaut
03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
We all hav learning experiences, part of the deal, and that wood sure buffed out nice, that is a great looking piece of wood.

bob svoboda
03-01-2011, 9:40 AM
Great save. All we can hope for is for each piece to be better than the last.

Jim Burr
03-01-2011, 9:46 AM
Nice Box!! That fix works on bolws to...DAMHIKT :eek::o

Dick Wilson
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
My last two weeks must have rubbed off on you. Sorry

Jim Underwood
03-01-2011, 3:49 PM
We should have a contest to see who has had the most inadertant launches on the same piece...

But I suppose we shouldn't encourage such events...

Patrick Doody
03-01-2011, 7:41 PM
yeah even though it's frustrating, it's still fun. I was just going to chuck it in the firewood bin, but in the end i learned something i think.

James Combs
03-01-2011, 8:14 PM
Intriguing shape. I like it. BTW been there don that. As someone else above mention. The piece(s) never land softly and at least one piece hides out for the rest of the afternoon. Nothing wrong with your save either.