PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl HF

Mark Hubl
02-28-2011, 10:20 PM
The other day I was at the Illiana Woodturners Club watching Bob B and Jeff M create a form for the AAW 25th Anniversary Chapter Submission. Jeff was nice enough to give me a couple chunks of the fall from the burl they were using.

Here are some pics of what I turned with it. I learned how not to do a collar on this piece! Had to make some design mods so I am not totally happy with the top. This is the first piece I have turned with this many voids. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

The piece is cherry burl and cocobolo. It is finished with AO and a buff. The piece is 3 5/8" w x 6" t. c & C welcome.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5487206917_fdd3d73b69_b.jpg

Richard Madden
02-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Man, I'll tell you what...this is a really fine looking piece. You have nailed the form perfectly, the finial is proportioned just right, and the collar looks like it belongs. Most excellent!

David E Keller
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Great form, Mark, and I love the double finial. I agree with you about the collar, but it's a great looking piece. Be careful... Voids are addictive.

Jeff Myroup
02-28-2011, 10:49 PM
WOW Mark that came out nice. I love the collar and Finial. You nailed it. Might need to submit that piece instead of the one we came up with

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
That is one pretty piece Mark. I do like the double finial.

Kathy Marshall
02-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Very Nice! The form looks great and the wood combo really goes great together!

Tim Thiebaut
03-01-2011, 12:35 AM
As everyone has said great form, and I agree that double finial looks really good with this, that is some beautiful wood you have there.

Jon Lanier
03-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Very Sharp!

John Keeton
03-01-2011, 6:30 AM
Excellent work on some beautiful wood, Mark!! I really like the cocobolo with the cherry burl - very nice contrast. What did you use for the finials? Looks like straight grained cherry.

While the collar could be different, it works quite well with the finial style you have used.

Michelle Rich
03-01-2011, 6:47 AM
Beautiful. I like the "non-black" finial. the pattern of the voids is very balanced & look great. Super piece

dan carter
03-01-2011, 8:57 AM
You did good. Nice double. That burl is sweet. Appealing shape.

bob svoboda
03-01-2011, 9:25 AM
Really nice, Mark. I agree with your analysis of the collar, but it works just fine. The double finial is really cool-I'm still working on trying to get a decent single! The main form is exceptionally appealing.

Mark Hubl
03-01-2011, 9:47 AM
Thanks to all for looking and commenting.

Voids are addictive.

Thanks David, they certainly are. I have always admired the gnarly pieces that I have seen at the creek. I was pleased to get a piece of wood that agreed to play along.

What did you use for the finials? Looks like straight grained cherry. While the collar could be different, it works quite well with the finial style you have used.

John, The finials are from the same chunk of cherry. Unfortunately the pickins were slim because of bug damage. The top finial has just a bit of nice burl figure left, but most was turned away. I have a couple more pieces left that I may be able to get more burl in, so I may redo the top finial. I think that once the cherry darkens the contrast will be more subtle. I learned to do the whole collar in the jam chuck and then mount it. I mounted this one after hollowing and tried to shape it on the form. Not so good.

Jim Burr
03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Wow Mark! Beautiful wood and the shape shows off the character real well. I was thinking the lower part of the finial looked a little heavy, but I got over it. And no black? What? Although the earth may shake to it's very core...I think it's great!

Jon Nuckles
03-01-2011, 3:50 PM
That is a really nice form that makes the most of that wood and lack of wood that you started with. It all works well together.

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2011, 4:28 PM
Very interesting design Mark! Beautiful wood and I really like your double finial!

Voids can be fun - as long as the wood is fairly sound! Nice to be able to see your cutter while hollowing - plus - you don't have to stop nearly as often to empty the shavings!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Michael James
03-01-2011, 8:11 PM
What a beautiful little piece!. Looks like a really challenging chunk of wood, and it all looks great from here!
mj

Cathy Schaewe
03-01-2011, 8:23 PM
Love those voids -
I see what you mean about the collar, but who am I to talk - I've never done one! I'm sure the next one will be more to your satisfaction. Where would the fun be if we could get it all right the first time?;)