PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn about planes

Ruhi Arslan
02-28-2011, 9:35 PM
I hope I won't be considered a trespasser here. :)

I would like to learn about the planes but don't know where to start. I have a few but I find myself frustrated when I try to "adjust" them just because I probably don't know how. This past weekend, at the show, I learned the difference between planed vs sanded surface and I was sold. The shimmer you get from planed surface and the dull surface from sanding made me aware of merits of using the planes.
I usually find a good catalog very informative but this topic needs more in depth understanding it appears like. First question I have is the classification of planes; scrub, low angle smooth, smoother, bench, jack fore plane, bevel-up plane, etc. I understand that the throat opening, bevel angles, "chip breaker" angle and position are all important but how do you learn which is what? Is there any good recommended reading?

I am looking at the Veritas offerings to get confused even more. They have bevel-up planes with optional blades at 25, 38 and 50 degrees. Then there is the bench plane with a fixed bevel but descriptions are pretty much identical to what they say for the bevel-up planes. I am lost... :confused:

Andrew Gibson
02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi Ruhi. Don't feel like an outsider, you will ketch on quicker then you think.

The most important thing to know about planes is you have to know how to sharpen them effectively. To get that shining surface you talked about the blade has to be Sharp. Not just kinda sharp but actually sharp.

I'm sure there are others here that can clear things up for you better then I can. So I will sit and wait untill I can toss in some first hand knowledge. If you want to come down to Tampa I am sure I could help much more in person... :)

Ruhi Arslan
02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
If you want to come down to Tampa I am sure I could help much more in person... :)
Don't be surprised if I take up on the offer. I travel to Tampa often for work at Tampa General. This week I'll be near Jacksonville, not quite far South.

Zach Dillinger
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Never fear, you are interested in hand planes, how could you possibly be an outsider? Welcome to the world of hand planes!

There are many books that will get you started. The Handplane Book (http://www.amazon.com/Handplane-Book-Garrett-Hack/dp/1561587125?ie=UTF8&tag=eatocounwood-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969)http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=eatocounwood-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=1561587125 by Garret Hack is a great start, as is Hand Tool Essentials (http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Tool-Essentials-Techniques-Woodworking/dp/1558708154?ie=UTF8&tag=eatocounwood-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969)http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=eatocounwood-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=1558708154, which is a compilation of Popular Woodworking articles on hand tools, including several on hand planes. Get these books, read up and then grab a few planes to play with.

Best of luck!

Zach

Andrew Gibson
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't be surprised if I take up on the offer. I travel to Tampa often for work at Tampa General. This week I'll be near Jacksonville, not quite far South.
Your always welcome in my shop... I mean back yard. I'd be happy to let you try out my planes and share my knowledge.

Mark Baldwin III
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
If you have a WoodCraft or Rockler in your area have a look at the books and DVD's. Since you've discovered Veritas, they have some books too. The DVD that got me started was Jim Kingshott's Handplane DVD. The Handplane Central site has plenty of info as well. There have been some recent threads here that might cover a few of your questions too. I'm still learning quite a bit myself...so maybe you'll ask the questions for me ;)

Oh yeah, I'll second Andrew's point about sharpening. The more I learn about sharpening, the better I get at planing.

Andrew Gibson
02-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Another good place to start is in the faq sticky at the top of the forum here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805-Neanderthal-wisdom-FAQs
tons of great info that should help a lot, and it's free.

Here is a good thread about rehabing an old plane, it may help you figure out what you need to do to get your planes in top notch shape. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer

Mike Siemsen
02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
The Philadelphia Furniture Workshop has 1 day courses in sharpening and plane craft. They shouldn't be too far away from you.

http://www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/
Mike

Pam Niedermayer
03-01-2011, 12:41 AM
The easiest way to learn about planes is to use them; so I always recommend that beginners buy a LN or LV low angle bevel up jack. These planes can perform many tasks, from try plane to smoother, and both vendors ship them ready to use out of the box. Then, as your needs are refined, you can buy planes that satisfy while still keeping the original.

When your blade stops cutting, you can learn about sharpening.

Now eventually you'll no longer really need your first plane, but you can always shoot with it; and you'll probably be so attached to it that it will be difficult to sell.

Pam

Jim Leslie
03-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Regarding Andrew's point about sharpening: I came across the concept of the "back bevel" here http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/jig%20faq%2004.html
This changed my whole approach to sharpening, and made planing even more enjoyable!

Jim Koepke
03-01-2011, 2:38 AM
Ruhi,

Welcome to the slippery slope of hand plane fun.

Andrew already mentioned the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQ sticky near the top of the conference. One of my posts also might be of help to get started:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148076-Getting-Started-With-Hand-Planes

It has basic information to help make your first shavings. It also has some links to other information about hand planes.

Lie-Nielsen also has a lot of good videos on Youtube, many with information about using hand planes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LieNielsen#g/u

It wasn't too long ago that my technique with hand planes was zilch. It is amazing how much better my planes have become since my first attempts at coaxing shavings from dull blades.

jtk

Johnny Kleso
03-01-2011, 3:11 AM
There are several good DVDs on hand planes you can also search Youtube.com
I bet there are 100s of videos on how to use a Hand Plane

Steve Branam
03-01-2011, 6:32 AM
Hi Ruhi,

I've been slowly working on a set of blog posts introducing hand tools for people just such as yourself. Click on my name above, then "Visit homepage", then look for the "Intro Hand Tools" link on the page. I start out with a references page that lists books and videos (you'll see several that have already been mentioned), as well as online links. My intent is to lead you through the various hand tools and skills in an organized manner enough to get you started.

Jim Matthews
03-01-2011, 9:18 AM
The satisfaction that awaits cannot be expressed in print.

Prepare your workspace, for you may be standing over the bench for much longer periods of time.

I would advise anyone just beginning with planes to spend the long dollar on modern tools, that way you can use them immediately.

Tuning an older plane is a trivial, but time consuming exercise - if you want to make sawdust, buy a tool that is ready to use out of the box.

I like the Lie Nielsen 4 1/2, as it fits my hand well and has a wider blade to cover more of the board in question and quickly.

You will find real utility if you take up AG on his offer, as most classes plod along at the lowest attendant skill level.

If you must buy a video for instruction, the Charlesworth stuff is easy to follow.

Lastly, make a shooting board.

Bon chance!

Roy Lindberry
03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I'd heartily recommend "the Handplane Book" by Garrett Hack. Also, I found these short videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfE2is_ahLQ) (three parts) with Christopher Schwarz to have some good information about the process of taking a board through the stages.

Jason Chestnut
03-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Books are good, and I agree that using a plane is the best way to learn. However, if you don't already know much, it's hard to know where to begin. Ideally you could find someone locally to show you the ropes. Barring that, a good option is video. Youtube has some stuff, but the better commercial DVDs are worth the price. Look into Chris Schwarz's stuff -- he's sort of the current lead evangelist as far as hand tooling goes. Roy Underhill of the Woodwright's Shop on PBS is great, too, but his show tends to move at a pretty good clip and doesn't focus on the planes much.

One of your best options is Bob Rozaieski's site: http://www.logancabinetshoppe.com (http://www.logancabinetshoppe.com/). He's got a textual blog and videos of how to choose and use all manner of hand tools.

Sean Hughto
03-01-2011, 10:18 AM
The chapters on planes in Aldren Watson's Handtools - Their Ways and Workings are an excellent place to start - great basic knowledge and great illustrations.

john brenton
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
My mom sent me a couple of woodworking books a while back. The box was heavy and I thought it might have been a tool..."could it be???" nope. I still love you though mom.

One of them is popular woodworking's "Hand Tool Essentials". Of all the books, this one was actually pretty enjoyable to read and had some pretty good info. It featured some articles from Christopher Shwarz and at least two by Adam Cherubini, who posts here in the creek. I'll be putting some books up in the classifieds pretty soon, and that will be one of them.

What I liked was that it covered a pretty wide spectrum. When it came to honing I think there may have been three articles...which actually had different points of view. There was a small feature on wooden planes, another on infill planes. There was some chisel info...just an all around good book. Now that I think about it, I might not sell it!

I hope I won't be considered a trespasser here. :)

I would like to learn about the planes but don't know where to start. I have a few but I find myself frustrated when I try to "adjust" them just because I probably don't know how. This past weekend, at the show, I learned the difference between planed vs sanded surface and I was sold. The shimmer you get from planed surface and the dull surface from sanding made me aware of merits of using the planes.
I usually find a good catalog very informative but this topic needs more in depth understanding it appears like. First question I have is the classification of planes; scrub, low angle smooth, smoother, bench, jack fore plane, bevel-up plane, etc. I understand that the throat opening, bevel angles, "chip breaker" angle and position are all important but how do you learn which is what? Is there any good recommended reading?

I am looking at the Veritas offerings to get confused even more. They have bevel-up planes with optional blades at 25, 38 and 50 degrees. Then there is the bench plane with a fixed bevel but descriptions are pretty much identical to what they say for the bevel-up planes. I am lost... :confused:

Wilbur Pan
03-01-2011, 1:06 PM
There's a woodworking club that I belong to called the Central Jersey Woodworkers Association (http://www.cjwa.org). Many of the members are unbelievably talented, and a lot of us know our way around a plane. You might want to come to a meeting. The first one is free for newcomers.

Ruhi Arslan
03-01-2011, 9:18 PM
A big thank you from the bottom of my heart to all replied with wonderful hints/links to ease my hesitation to lurk into the "dark side". Special thanks to the locals who offered for me to come by to see what they have and "play" with their planers. If nothing else, the reception was such a great reason to get involved and learn more... Thanks for making me such that I do not feel that I am trespassing here.

I stopped by this afternoon at ToolTown, NJ with the hope that I could pick up recently ordered Festool 75 and some other goodies. Apparently, they are about to become a Lie-Nielson dealer if works out. I imagine they would be a great outlet for hands-on retailer to try and learn before buying.

Charles McKinley
03-01-2011, 9:57 PM
Hi Ruhi,

Welcome to one of the friendliest places on Earth not just the web. I'm extreamly please that the Creek has maintailed its family feel as it has grown to such a huge size. You will find that most Galoots are very helpful and freindly people.

Ther are no stupid question except the ones not asked. The archives here are deep but if you can't find what you need ask and you will get a direct answer or shown where to look.

WARNING: The slope is steep and slippery and those that have already fallen love to drag other s along for the ride. You have been warned! ;)

Jim Koepke
03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
The slope is steep and slippery and those that have already fallen love to drag other s along for the ride.

That's not quite right, we are just grabbing on to get a hold so we can climb back to the top for another ride down.:D

jtk

Martin Zielinski
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I have been on the slope for a while now and just borrowed "Woodworker's guide to handplanes" by Scott Wynn from the library. This is by far the best book I have ever seen on handplanes. It discusses many nuances from the Western and Easter traditions that I have never seen covered anywhere else. I am learning a LOT and the book is very well written. It is so good that I may actually have to buy it as a reference. It even covers how to make your own dai. The author does seem to have a bias favouring Japanese and Chinese planes, as well as Western woodies (but I'm happy about that). He explains a lot more about Japanese planes that Odate does in his book. I found Odate and Hack's books to be more of a catalogue of different planes while Wynn discusses a lot of the mechanics and fine points.