PDA

View Full Version : Barn Unowood "Simulated" HF

James Combs
02-28-2011, 8:01 PM
I turned a SW form from some of my barn-wood described in a previous gloat.

The form you are looking is turned on the outside only. I turned a small recess in the top and colored it black to simulate an opening but at this point the form is solid.

The wood I thought would look the best is literally riddled with insect tracks. It has so many that I am not so sure that I want to fool with it. All the holes are full of powdered wood dust. It turns pretty good except for the sap wood which is a little punky and the heart wood is great but sanding any of it is a major event. The sand paper when it is not catching in the tracks it sands of the sides of the tracks causing divots. It is just a real hassle.

What do you folks think? Do you think it is worth hollowing?

The heart wood doesn't have nearly the amount of tracks that are in the sapwood so for future items I am going to center the heart wood and turn away most of the sapwood. Think small bird houses and ornaments.

Nate Davey
02-28-2011, 8:07 PM
James,

I think it's too pretty not to go for it. What's the saying about fools go where angels fear to tread???? Might be a good candidate for casting of some sort???

John Keeton
02-28-2011, 8:15 PM
JD, first of all, you did a great job on the form!! An excellent looking piece. I think it is worth hollowing if it can be done. What about soaking the form in some finish, or hardener, in order to preserve the soft wood? Then, I would consider rubbing some dark acrylic paint into the worm tracks for character, and hollow away!! Should be a neat piece, and I look forward to seeing this one in person!

Fred Belknap
02-28-2011, 8:15 PM
James I think you should go for it. The form is great. I wouldn't try to set a record for thinness though. I just did a hollow form from hickory that most of the sap wood was punky. I put in a bucket and mixed up a mixture of glue and water and let it set for three days. I used a microwave to get it dry and it turned pretty good. It sanded real easy.

Jon McElwain
02-28-2011, 8:35 PM
I would be tempted to hollow just to help ensure that there are no more residents living in your HF. I had to deal with this recently - posted in the thread below....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160030-I-ve-seen-wormy-wood...&highlight=

I like your form - pleasing curves, top treatment is classy.

Tim Thiebaut
02-28-2011, 8:49 PM
I think you should go for it....question, were the worms eatting at the wood while the tree was still standing and alive...or once the wood was already used in the barn constructin? Or is there no way to tell when it was?

David E Keller
02-28-2011, 8:51 PM
I'd definitely hollow it. It's too nice looking not to give it a go. Great shape and coloring.

Brian McInturff
02-28-2011, 8:58 PM
Well it held up good enough to turn the outside so I'd definitely go for the inside. It'll have a lot of character and be a great piece that's for sure.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2011, 9:28 PM
James I would definitely hollow it and just leave the tracks. Gives it great character. Give it a go.

Mark Hubl
02-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Go for it Jim. It should look really cool if you get it thin. I would wrap it with tape or stretch wrap when hollowing it. Hope to see the final version.

Dennis Ford
03-01-2011, 8:01 AM
It looks so nice that I would keep it and hollow out the next one.

Michelle Rich
03-01-2011, 8:05 AM
I think you've done a good job with what you have. Try it..if it can't be done, then what have you lost?

bob svoboda
03-01-2011, 9:13 AM
Yup, give it a spin. The worst that can happen is you get some good practice-you might end up with something spectacular.

Jon Nuckles
03-01-2011, 3:56 PM
I would definitely hollow it. It looks good.

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2011, 4:09 PM
Well, I sure like what I see so far! It is those pieces that you have to reach for that are always worth the most! I also agree with John - those bugs holes are there for you to capitalize on! Do what you can to draw attention to them as they add character to the piece!

Good luck! Hope to see the finished hollow form soon!

James Combs
03-01-2011, 8:09 PM
JD, first of all, you did a great job on the form!! An excellent looking piece. I think it is worth hollowing if it can be done. What about soaking the form in some finish, or hardener, in order to preserve the soft wood? Then, I would consider rubbing some dark acrylic paint into the worm tracks for character, and hollow away!! Should be a neat piece, and I look forward to seeing this one in person!

John, I like the idea of filling the tracks with something. I have some gold glitter glue based stuff, I think I will try that.:)

I think you should go for it....question, were the worms eatting at the wood while the tree was still standing and alive...or once the wood was already used in the barn constructin? Or is there no way to tell when it was?

Tim, I don't have anyway of knowing for sure :confused:but I suspect that all the activity was while it was in the barn. Also I am a little concerned that there may still be some live critters in the wood. I don't need them making a meal out of my shop or wood supply.:eek:

James I would definitely hollow it and just leave the tracks. Gives it great character. Give it a go.

Bernie and and the rest of you guys that said hollow it, thanks, I will be doing just that.

Go for it Jim. It should look really cool if you get it thin. I would wrap it with tape or stretch wrap when hollowing it. Hope to see the final version.

Mark, I don't think a wrap or tape will be necessary. Although wormy and a little punky in spots the wood is very hard in most places and has good structural integrity. I will post the final version ASAP.

I think you've done a good job with what you have. Try it..if it can't be done, then what have you lost?

Michelle, you are right, nothing to loose but a little time which I have plenty of.

Yup, give it a spin. The worst that can happen is you get some good practice-you might end up with something spectacular.

Bob, definitely agree on the need for practice.

I would definitely hollow it. It looks good.

James, I think it's too pretty not to go for it. What's the saying about fools go where angels fear to tread???? Might be a good candidate for casting of some sort???

Nate, casting is an intriguing thought, perhaps you could elaborate a little on what you might be thinking.

James I think you should go for it. The form is great. I wouldn't try to set a record for thinness though. I just did a hollow form from hickory that most of the sap wood was punky. I put in a bucket and mixed up a mixture of glue and water and let it set for three days. I used a microwave to get it dry and it turned pretty good. It sanded real easy.

Fred, agreed, it shouldn't be thin. I will have to give the glue and water idea a try on the next one. I have been planning on doing that to some spalted maple I have that turns like a sponge.:rolleyes:

I would be tempted to hollow just to help ensure that there are no more residents living in your HF. I had to deal with this recently - posted in the thread below....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160030-I-ve-seen-wormy-wood...&highlight=
I like your form - pleasing curves, top treatment is classy.

Jon as I mentioned above I am a little concerned that there may still be some live critters in the wood. I don't need them making a meal out of my shop or wood supply.:eek: That would definitely ruin my day.:mad:

I'd definitely hollow it. It's too nice looking not to give it a go. Great shape and coloring.

David, thanks.

Well it held up good enough to turn the outside so I'd definitely go for the inside. It'll have a lot of character and be a great piece that's for sure.

Brian, I didn't really have any trouble turning it, the problem came when trying to sand it:eek:.

Well, I sure like what I see so far! It is those pieces that you have to reach for that are always worth the most! I also agree with John - those bugs holes are there for you to capitalize on! Do what you can to draw attention to them as they add character to the piece!

Good luck! Hope to see the finished hollow form soon!

Thanks Steve, I will post the final version in a separate posting.

Nate Davey
03-01-2011, 9:04 PM
James,

I had the opportunity to see Alan Trouts contest winning piece up close and in my hands. That was along the lines of what I was thinking however, I've never cast and don't know whats involved so take that with a grain of monosodium monochloride. :) Maybe use the casting idea as a fall back plan incase the wormy part to too far gone. Regardless, it's going to be a beautiful piece.

Don Alexander
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Go for it!!! :)

lifes too short not to IMO

Rick Markham
03-02-2011, 3:55 AM
You've already decided, but I agree just go for it. If it works (It will) then you have a whole bunch of pretty wood you don't have to cut into small pieces for smaller turnings.

My personal take, I'd leave the bug track marks, I think they really add a stunning texture to the piece, looks like a pain to sand, I'd be hand sanding in spot areas to avoid creating the divots around the bug holes. (I'm sick though... I'd probably try and turn it so I could see through the little holes, and I am sure that would be a big mistake/learning lesson!:eek::D)