PDA

View Full Version : The wood working shows

Jeff Bartley
02-28-2011, 8:00 PM
Evening Folks,

I just wanted to see what people thought about the Wood Working shows this year. The one in DC is coming up soon and I've been thinking of making the drive.

Do the vendors let you test the tools, or I should rephrase that, does LV let you test the tools? LV is really the reason I'd make the drive! I really want to check out their dovetail saw.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dale Coons
02-28-2011, 8:06 PM
Wished I'd have saved the gas it took to drive to the Detroit show. I'll never get the time back. Only a couple of big vendors--and I don't even recall LV being here. Some vendors did let people play. CraftUSA had several lathes set up.

Bijesh Jacob
02-28-2011, 9:52 PM
Evening Folks,

I just wanted to see what people thought about the Wood Working shows this year. The one in DC is coming up soon and I've been thinking of making the drive.

Do the vendors let you test the tools, or I should rephrase that, does LV let you test the tools? LV is really the reason I'd make the drive! I really want to check out their dovetail saw.

Thanks,

Jeff

I attended the NJ ww show and I think it was worthwhile. There were a lot of vendors and the place was packed.

David Hawxhurst
02-28-2011, 9:58 PM
LV usually lets you handle and play with the display tools. not sure they'll have saw to demo. assuming your talking about chantilly, va. supposedly one of the better ones in the area, but i've not been to that one.

glenn bradley
02-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I went when it was in So Cal. Lee Valley had plenty of tools and workbenches/wood to play with them on. Ended up costing me some money, of course. The folks that gripe and don't attend just contribute to low attendance numbers which causes less participation by the vendors. Get up and go to the show!

I always have a list of things I don't want to pay shipping on. You know, the little stuff that Stockroom Supply, Peachtree and those folks carry. That is not why I go to the show but, I generally save enough in shipping on stuff like that to pay for the day.

Dave Mendoza
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
LV will allow you to play with all their fun toys. I'll be at the show in Chantilly for the 8 straight year. It's great to see all the fun toys.

dennis thompson
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I went to the NJ show this weekend, plenty of vendors, I enjoyed it, picked up 4 of the Jevons 3d squares for about $20 less than if I ordered them over the internet
Dennis

Jeff Bartley
03-01-2011, 8:54 AM
Thanks for the input guys! You see, I have a problem: I can't stop thinking about tools; should I get this one or that one or what about this one. And I just goes on from there! I need to see and use the tools for closure!! It's too hard to make a choice without the show-and-tell.
And hopefully I can there early enough to get a blade sharpened....

ken gibbs
03-01-2011, 9:03 AM
What are the dates of the DC show this year?

keith ouellette
03-01-2011, 9:11 AM
I went once when it was in orlando and thought it was great. I would love to g again but they Keep putting it in Tampa which is twice as far. No idea why they can't put it in the middle of the state but Oh Well. I'm taking the chance with the extra dive.

Jeff Bartley
03-01-2011, 1:14 PM
Ken,
March 11, 12, 13; Dullus expo center, link here:
http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Home/ChantillyVA/tabid/70/Default.aspx

Dave Mendoza
03-02-2011, 8:18 PM
Correct, March 11 - 13. Friday 12 PM - 6 PM, Saturday 10 AM - 6 PM, Sunday 10 AM - 4 PM. I'll probably be there all 3 days. You can sometimes get some really good deals at 3 PM on Sunday.

Ronald Blue
03-02-2011, 8:47 PM
I attended the St Louis show and enjoyed it immensely. One has to decide for them self if it's something they might enjoy and benefit from. It isn't all that different from any other trade show I have attended. Some things will catch your eye and others won't.

Dexter Lichtenstein
03-03-2011, 8:39 PM
I went to the show in Milwaukee 2 weeks ago and went all 3 days. I agree, it is what you make of it. There are many informative seminars to attend to keep you there for all days. Also enjoy looking at the goods and listening to some of the pitchmen. Go with an open mind instead of an attitude and if you like woodworking you will have a good time.

Jim Eller
03-05-2011, 6:35 PM
I went to the Atlanta show yesterday.

It was better than last year and managed to spend a couple of hundred dollars as usual. Haven't counted the vendors in the past but there appeared to be more of them.

No real deals that I could find. Slight reduction for "Show Special" but mostly regular pricing and "I'll through in this and that".

Seemed like more presentations than in the past. A new guy on the block from Fine Woodworking articles, Peter Gedrys, was there. I really enjoyed his presentations on finishing. Kind of an in your face approach. He said he isn't smart enough to build projects, he just finishes them.

It makes for a long day driving from Knoxville and back but I enjoy the 3-4 hours I spent there. Would stay longer but that Atlanta traffic is brutal, even at four in the afternoon. I don't understand how any one could do that on a daily basis without.......:eek:

Jim

Charles Bender
03-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Jeff,

If you can't play with LV dovetail saws in their booth, swing by mine and I'll let you play with my dovetail saws. I have one of each of the LV saws with me this year. I'm using them in my dovetailing demos. In case you're wondering, I'm the Acanthus Workshop. I'll be the booth with all the period furniture. Hope to see you there.

Andy Margeson
03-06-2011, 12:15 AM
At the one in Portland, Oregon, LV did let you use their tools. My personal reaction was that most of the other vendor booths were poor, the other exception being Carter Products, but that the seminars were excellent. I learned a lot and am glad I went. Getting to try LV tools and listen to Graham Blackburn, Roland Johnson and others was worth it.