PDA

View Full Version : Silicone/Teflon free gun cleaning products

John Coloccia
02-28-2011, 7:16 PM
Has anyone found any? The lubricants in particular seem to all have either Teflon or silicone in them. I'd like to clean in my shop to keep the mess (i.e. smell) out of the house, but I don't know what to use that won't cause tremendous problems down the road with finishes.

Matt Meiser
02-28-2011, 7:18 PM
What are you trying to clean out of the gun?

Edit: Nevermind, I assume you mean gun as in firearm, not gun as in spray gun.

John Coloccia
02-28-2011, 7:21 PM
LOL....yes, gun as in BOOM BOOM :)

I guess the next question would be do I even need to worry about Teflon? Maybe it's OK to use Teflon in the shop?

Ruhi Arslan
02-28-2011, 8:39 PM
Kleen Bore Formula 3 and Hoppe's #9 combo is what I use to take care of some HK stuff. But, to be honest I cannot tell if they are silicon/teflon free. They don't have any "ingredients" list on the bottles.

Rob Wright
02-28-2011, 9:32 PM
Break Free CLP

John Coloccia
02-28-2011, 9:39 PM
I believe Break Free has teflon in it, though that doesn't mean all CLP has teflon.

keith jensen
02-28-2011, 10:16 PM
ROYCO 634 is a teflon free CLP (cleaner, lubricant and protection) to use after cleaning with the Hoppes #9. Break-free CLP, as far as I know still has teflon.

Rich Engelhardt
03-01-2011, 3:18 AM
Has anyone found any? The lubricants in particular seem to all have either Teflon or silicone in them.
Yes - Clenzoil.

No Teflon (PTFE) or Silicon - or varnish or lacquer either.

Good stuff for bore, stock and sling (and/or holster). Does it all - metal, leather and wood.
Works wonders on blued finishes - really brings out the depth and lustre.

Scott T Smith
03-01-2011, 9:53 AM
John, I typically lay a series of towels, cardboard and old bedsheets on top of my workbenches when I'm cleaning my firearms in the woodshop. The first layer is usually a clean sheet, the second layer is some cardboard, and the third layer is comprised of old towells/blankets that I have dedicated to firearms use. I'll lay out the misc parts on clean paper towells on top once they are cleaned and awaiting assembly.

One hint - a solvent-based parts washer tank really makes short work of cleaning.

Larry Edgerton
03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I use brake clean spray, and #9

Andrew Pitonyak
03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
What are you trying to clean out of the gun?

Edit: Nevermind, I assume you mean gun as in firearm, not gun as in spray gun.
Oh, wow, that never occurred to me, even though I usually ask people to use the term firearm rather than gun...

Andrew Pitonyak
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Consider M-Pro-7 (http://www.mpro7.com/MPro7-Gun-Cleaner.html) but you need to verify that it does NOT contain teflon. It was originally designed to clean the F16 I believe. Great stuff.

David Epperson
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't think the "standard" Kroil from KanoLabs has silicone in it -though they make a SiliKroil that does. Seems it's a staple item among benchrest shooters.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

ray hampton
03-01-2011, 2:26 PM
Oh, wow, that never occurred to me, even though I usually ask people to use the term firearm rather than gun...

actually, the word "firearms " when referring to weapons are misleading because some weapons are guns but do not use powder ---airgun , blowgun are 2 examples, this are not direct at you

Jerry Bruette
03-01-2011, 8:20 PM
John

Are you cleaning or oiling? For the actual cleaning of the bore I use either Shooters Choice or Sweets 7.62 followed by some Birchwood Casey GunScrubber. Careful with the Sweets though it'll mess with the finish on your wood stock, and both bore cseanerss will eat a bronze bore brush for lunch.

For oiling I use Rem Oil but that has the teflon you're trying to avoid.

Jerry

Mike Schuch
03-03-2011, 4:11 PM
Kroil and Sweets 7.62 ROCKS!!!!

When you buy a can of Kroil make sure you pick up several extra cans!!! I picked up a can for gun cleaning and now use it for everything. It is the best thing I have found for loosening old rusted nuts and bolts.

For cleaning the rest of the firearm (other than the barrel) I use a ultrasonic cleaner with dawn dishwashing detergent, then rinse and then protect with tetra lube or break free.

I would just isolate the gun cleaning area from your finishing area and use the teflon products. I always have enough sawdust around to soak up any drips. I have never had any problems with splashes ruining finishes down the road.