PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing new table saw

Richard Dooling
02-28-2011, 6:05 PM
I am about to upgrade my table saw from a Bosch contractor saw to something more substantial. I'm not finding many good newer reviews, especially on saws with riving knives.

I'm looking for a saw that's a better joint maker so my priority is accuracy especially in arbor run out. Table, miter slot and fence alignment are important. With that in mind cabinet mounted trunions would be a plus but not a deal breaker.

I don’t need huge rip capacity and don’t have the space anyway – so say 30 inch. Biesemeyer type fence or better.

Left tilt blade.

I don’t need tremendous power and I figure 3hp should be more than enough. The shop is wired for 220.

Riving knife a big plus.

My budget is $1200 plus some. I have blades so that's not part of the price.

My current saw is not very friendly as far as shop made zero clearance inserts - good throat plate design is a requirement.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Paul McGaha
02-28-2011, 6:16 PM
Hi Richard,

I bought a new Unisaw about 8 years ago. It has been a fine saw.

If I were buying a new saw today the first one I'd look at is the Powermatic PM-2000 based mainly on the performance of other Powermatic tools I have. They have one at my local Woodcraft and I look it over every time I go to the store. It seems to be highly regarded by its owners here on the creek.

Grizzly is (as almost always) the best value.

PHM

Rick Moyer
02-28-2011, 6:53 PM
With the features you listed and that price point, you won't get a PM-2000. The only options would be Grizzly (1023 or 0690) or their sister Shop Fox saws. Older saws probably won't have a riving knife or you could go that direction.

Ben Althaus
02-28-2011, 7:12 PM
Richard, I am in the same situation as you are...well except for currently having a table saw. I had decided on getting the Bosch for my first TS due to all of the high reviews and then I realized that I do not need the portability at all. I then started reading threads here and on another forum / web site. I am now torn between the Grizzly 715p and the 1023rl. Powermatic, Jet, Unisaw, etc...are just too much money for my budget. I will be following this thread.

bill schmoott
02-28-2011, 7:56 PM
Check out the Griz GO691 or in that series. I dont personally own the saw, but it seems to fit your requirements while staying around your budget. I have a Griz GO490X and GO453Z and have been happy with them so far. I purchased my saw before looking at the Griz, but would have given them a look based on price anyway.

Cary Falk
02-28-2011, 7:57 PM
I am a happy G1023RL user. I posted a review around last September when I got it. You can do a search for it. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2011, 8:40 PM
I have the G0691 and I'm very happy with it. I helped a fellow Creeker set up his new 1023RL a few weeks back, and I will say I was impressed with it too. I still think I like my 691 better "for me", but the new 1023R series is definitely worth a look see. Jim.

Joe Leigh
02-28-2011, 9:32 PM
I'm looking for a saw that's a better joint maker so my priority is accuracy especially in arbor run out. Table, miter slot and fence alignment are important. With that in mind cabinet mounted trunions would be a plus but not a deal breaker.

I don’t need huge rip capacity and don’t have the space anyway – so say 30 inch. Biesemeyer type fence or better.

Left tilt blade.

I don’t need tremendous power and I figure 3hp should be more than enough. The shop is wired for 220.

Riving knife a big plus.

My budget is $1200 plus some.
My current saw is not very friendly as far as shop made zero clearance inserts - good throat plate design is a requirement.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Richard,

If you are looking for features like riving knife, dust shroud, poly belt, and it sounds like you are, well you won't find them on older models. So new or just a few years old is where you need to look. If you're thinking new, then the Grizzly 1023RL and 690 are the only saws in your budget with those features (the 690 does not have the dust shroud).
As for the fence and throat plate concerns, those two items are a weakness in the 1023RL reviews I've read here. Do your own search to verify.
If you're looking for a well made ZCI with full adjustability and close tolerances, then a Leecraft aftermarket ZCI is the ticket. Light years ahead of the stock plate or a shop made one. As for arbor run out, you'll have to ask Grizzly owners. My PM200 has zero run out at the arbor as well as all of the features you are looking for. You can search my review and check it out with plenty of pics. The 3hp 30" model runs about 1K more than the Grizzly, but that's delivered. It also has a built in caster system and a much larger cast iron table with better fence.
The first thing I learned here when doing my TS search was "buy once cry once".
Good luck with the hunt.

Dave MacArthur
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Grizzly with a riving knife, as above, if I was purchasing new. Joe has it right up above, the two Grizzly saws are your only option in your budget, but they are good options. And who uses their original ZCI? I've probably got 10 of them laying around from various dado widths, etc.

While thinking about it, I'd look at CraigsList. There are 6-9 PM66 or Unisaws for sale a month here in Phoenix for less than $1000, probably similar available in your area.

Richard Dooling
03-02-2011, 3:23 PM
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and advice on this. As it is for many of us, this will be the biggest single shop purchase I’ll make for a while. My only bigger purchase at this point is the aggregate purchase of hand planes and I'll freely admit that's an illness.:D

I debated a lot of choices and tried to honestly weigh my requirements against what I just want just ‘cause it’s bigger and badder. I narrowed the field down to a few good contenders.

On the high end was the Jet 708674PK at $2,049 less 15% on sale so that’s about $1,799. More than my original budget but doable.

There were several in the $1,300 to $1,600 range but at that level I’d probably stretch a little more for the Jet name.

Then I found the General International 50-200R MI for $999 and though a relatively new saw a very interesting option. It’s less powerful (2 vs. 3 hp) and slightly smaller but still it should meet my needs. It has the important options I want like the riving knife, cabinet mounted trunnions, a decent looking fence and a strong throat plate.

Although this is General’s off-shore product, I found a PW review of General International that says they have teams on-site overseas to monitor quality. So hopefully things like arbor run-out and table flatness are in acceptable ranges.

One feature in a lot of newer saws is a blade shroud with a dust hose mount and it turns out it has that too.

So I feel like I’m taking a bit of a chance but they had this in stock at my Woodcraft and I looked it over today. It looks like a very nicely made machine. Turns out it was also offered at 10% off. That’s $900 plus tax and no delivery charge since I can pick it up. That’s also a big plus for me because my driveway is very steep a freight deliveries generally drop at the curb.

So I pulled the trigger and hope to get it home and, crossed fingers, working this weekend. I’ll give my impressions once I’ve used it a little.

Yikes!!:cool:

Cary Falk
03-02-2011, 4:31 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I will be waiting for the proof.:D

Brian Hinther
03-02-2011, 9:36 PM
Jim,
What do you like better about the 691? I'd appreciate any help you can give, because I'm in the same boat as the OP. Thanks.
Brian

Doug Colombo
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Congrats on your purchase - you will love the saw for sure !!!

Charlton Wang
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I have the G0691 and I'm very happy with it. I helped a fellow Creeker set up his new 1023RL a few weeks back, and I will say I was impressed with it too. I still think I like my 691 better "for me", but the new 1023R series is definitely worth a look see. Jim.

Hey Jim,

Can you elaborate on why you like the 691 better? Just curious to know what your observations are.

Thanks,
Charlton