PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook Pro Engraving

Terry Swift
02-28-2011, 6:02 PM
Have a customer who wants to use his MacBook Pro as a form of advertising. Apple's website only says that it's an aluminum unibody. Has anyone tried lasering a MacBook Pro and does it require using Cermark to actually engrave on it?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

P>S> I tried a search and only found some really old items for Mac's; but nothing for the new Pro aluminum one. :(:(:(

Mike Mackenzie
02-28-2011, 8:26 PM
Terry,

I have done mac books, I-pads, I-pods and I-phones. I would think that the Mac Book pro should be the same. I don't know for sure
I have never used cermark on the ones I have done. beware of the radius edges.

Mike Null
03-01-2011, 6:23 AM
I've done a couple and they were anodized. No Cermark needed.

Steffen Heidemann
03-01-2011, 1:59 PM
I engraved mine recently. A late 2008 Macbook Pro, one version before the unibody-enclosure. Anodized aluminum as well and worked like a charm :) You could offer your customer to do a test on the bottom.. Some Numbers with different settings..

184732 184731

Giacomo Cheslaghi
03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
The anodized aluminium engraves beautifully, turns into white, for what I know using Cermark you can engrave in dark color..

Steffen your engraving looks great, did you use the default settings for Anodized Aluminium?

I engraved mine but the line looks less clear than your..

Steffen Heidemann
03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
As Giacomo says, the anodized aluminum engraves beautifully.. Depending on the angle of view it appears either white (brighter than the background) or grey (darker than the bg).

@ Giacomo: I did several tests on the bottom of mine - started with the default, but that did not look right. I have a Speedy 100 30W measured at 38W - I ran 90P 100S and reduced to 80P, 70P, 50P, 35P.. all at 1000 DPI. The less power i used the whiter the engraving became. I ended up with 35P 100S at 1000 DPI.

Greg Bednar
03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Very Nice! Well done.

Shawn Conklin
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Had a customer that did his without cermark and when he saw with cermark he liked that better. He has engraved 15 or so Ipads here and all with cermark. The dark is more appealing to some. If you want to experiment hit up the'bay' and search for 'macbook pro lids' you can get a dented or scratched lid for $30 ... makes a good sample. Half cermark half regular.