PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep my lunchbox planer?

Maik Tobin
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
This morning, I placed an order for a 15 inch stationary planer (thanks to the 10% off coupon thread) which will be arriving this week. It will be replacing a 13 inch Steel City lunchbox that I have had for about a year. My question for those that have replaced a functioning lunchbox planer to a larger stationary one is...will I ever use the lunchbox planer again? Is there any real reason to keep it? Or, should I sell it to recoup some of the cost of the new beast? All of my work is done from my shop, so I would not need to take it anywhere.

glenn bradley
02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I have yet to let go of my DW734 since my Grizzly G0453Z has taken up residence in the shop. The smaller unit is nice for straight grained thinner or more delicate stock as the rubber rollers are kinder to the material. Most lunchbox planers are "finish" planers, your floor standing machines are not. With some TLC and a reasonable amount of testing I have gotten a very good finish off of my 15" spiral machine despite the serrated metal feed rollers. For thinner material where there is little dimension left for removing mill marks, the lunchbox can still be handy. If you find you haven't used it for several months (like I haven't used mine) maybe sellin git would serve you and the new owner ;-) JMHO.

Paul Johnstone
02-28-2011, 1:33 PM
I can't see why you'd want to keep the lunchbox planer.
Unless you have enough room where you could leave it permanently set up, do you really see yourself taking it off the shelf and using it when you have the 15" planer available?

Sell it to another woodworker.. it's just going to collect dust in your shop.

Cary Falk
02-28-2011, 1:54 PM
I sold my Delta 22-580 when I bought my G0453Z last august. I was glad to get rid of the screamer. I can do the same things on my 15" that I could do on the 13". I have a drum sander if that enters into the equation, but use it for the same problems that the 13" struggled with.

Chip Lindley
02-28-2011, 2:14 PM
No need to be redundant. Sell the lunchbox! Use the proceeds to offset shipping of your nice new 15-incher! OR, an extra set of knives, OR a nice dial indicator fixture for setting the knives IF you didn't get the spiral head machine.

Steve H Graham
02-28-2011, 3:18 PM
Tools aren't for SELLING. Tools are for BUYING!

Stephen Cherry
02-28-2011, 3:21 PM
Maybe it would be nice if you want to plane recycled or dirty wood. Otherwise, let it go.

Russell Smallwood
02-28-2011, 3:48 PM
kick it to the curb.

Or sell it and get a rotocator to help setup your new 15" spiral.

If your new 15" is not a spiral, sell the lunch box to pay for the upgrade!

Paul McGaha
02-28-2011, 6:05 PM
I sold mine.

I live in a typical suburban community.

I'm sure my neighbors were glad to see it go.

PHM

Matthew Hills
02-28-2011, 6:40 PM
I'd wait to see how the new planer fares.
I've read a number of people who keep the lunchbox planer because it left a better surface.

I'm in a similar situation (just picked up an old Parks). I expect that I will be getting rid of my old planer, though -- it was leaving a bit of snipe regardless of how the tables were adjusted, and I hated having to plan for that all the time.

Matt

Danny Hamsley
02-28-2011, 6:49 PM
My Go453Z leaves a better surface than my old DW733. I don't miss the lunchbox in the least. Nope, not at all. That spiral head is superior technology. No more sharpening planer knives for me.

Wayne Hendrix
02-28-2011, 6:51 PM
I havent encountered this situation (unfortunately) but my uncle has, he kept the lunchbox and runs things through it that he needs to plane but which would significantly dull the blades on the bigger planer. I say if you have the room keep both.

Larry Frank
02-28-2011, 9:32 PM
I would keep the lunchbox planer. In the last year, I bougth a 15" planer and am happy I kept my DeWalt. I found that with the serrated infeed rollers, I had to take off a certain amount to clear the marks. With the DeWalt, I can take off small amounts without worring about the marks. A lot also depends on the amount of room that you have and if you have space for both.

I would keep the lunchbox until you are completely happy with the 15" planer and have tried making light passes with it. It is easier to keep it awhile than get rid of it and then wish you hadn't.

Clint Olver
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Get rid of it, then buy a drum sander, or a wide belt sander. I had a Dewalt 735, then upgraded to a 20" Steel city planer and a 25" General drum sander. I have not missed the Dewalt.

C

Bruce Wrenn
02-28-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm in the KEEP IT bunch. Despite owning both a Delta 15", and a Rockwell 13", I kept my 22-540. It's perfect for doing edging for shelves (1/4" X 3/4"). Locally here we have a farm supply store that sells some HDPE strips that are 3/8" X 1". I use these as runners on my TS sleds. Rip them slightly wider than 3/4", and then using jig in lunch box, plan them down to exactly 0.750".

johnny means
02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Would it kill you if the 15"er went down for a few days. My last shop, a co-op, had a brand spankin new Format 4 Exact 51 go down for several weeks, while we waited for parts.I ran right to the store the day it broke down and picked up the Dewalt. We plopped my little 735 right on top of the Format 4 and kept right on working. Of course, my situation at the time dictated that the Dewalt was worth every penny, YMMV.

Steve Griffin
03-01-2011, 12:46 AM
sell it.

I still have my Delta little guy. It's been in the shed for 10 years, just "in case" my big planer needs servicing. Sort of like extended warrantees, it's better to have the money than the insurance you never use. I plan to sell mine.

Even if the main planer needs work, I can find about 3700 hours of other stuff to do until the parts arrive....
-Steve

Larry Edgerton
03-01-2011, 8:55 AM
Give it away. I do this quite often when I find I am not using something....

Joe Mioux
03-01-2011, 9:21 AM
i had a Delta 22-580 and kept it for awhile after I received my MM FS30 j/p combo. I later sold the Delta.

I don't miss the lunchbox planer as I couldn't stand the noise. I found that the lunch box left a better finish than the MM, but I have a drum sander than can remove the planer marks.

I am happy with my decision to sell it and I rarely miss it.

Joe Angrisani
03-01-2011, 9:38 AM
Maik.... Looks like things are nicely split, so you're right back where you started and you'll have to make the decision. :rolleyes:

It all comes down to money and shop size, and none of us know your situation like you do. I'm guessing, since the Grizz coupon was important, that you should sell the lunchbox. I love my recently new-to-me used Steel City lunchbox. I'm sure yours will find a loving home, too.