PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Goblet and Back to The Shop?...

Wally Dickerman
02-28-2011, 11:59 AM
This is a wedding goblet that I made for one of my granddaughters several years ago. It's Huon Pine, a very hard to get wood that I love to turn. Huon Pine comes from Tasmania.

I'm still showing pieces that were turned some time in the past because my 2 month old case of the shingles is still dragging on. Getting better though, so hopefully.....

I have a list of people who are waiting to come to my shop for a turning lesson. I need to get out to the shop and get started on that. I have several projects started that I need to finish. I have at least 50 rough turned pieces that are dry and waiting to go back on the lathe. Maybe I'll be up to getting started in a week or two.

Sheesh....way too much to do for a guy who'll be having a 90th birthday party this summer.

Wally

Richard Madden
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
The goblet is beautiful, Wally, and this was done several years ago?? I'll bet you have forgotten more than I'll ever know about this turning stuff!! Our neighbor is celebrating his 90th in April and we are invited to his party. Let me know when your party will be and I'll come to it too.

Roger Chandler
02-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Perfect form on this gobblet............I don't see how it could be any better!

Wally Dickerman
02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
The goblet is beautiful, Wally, and this was done several years ago?? I'll bet you have forgotten more than I'll ever know about this turning stuff!! Our neighbor is celebrating his 90th in April and we are invited to his party. Let me know when your party will be and I'll come to it too.

Richard, at my age I forget lots of things. When I get back in my shop I hope that I can remember where the lathe switch is

Wally

steven carter
02-28-2011, 1:09 PM
Very nice goblet! Smooth classic lines, it will always be in style.

bob svoboda
02-28-2011, 1:17 PM
Very pretty Wally. Huon Pine is a protected tree in Tasmania. Folks are only allowed to harvest what they find on the ground to use for crafts-very rare indeed. I was given a piece of burl by fellow Creeker Peter Hay that I just finished turning into a small hollow form. Beautiful blond color and really has a strong pine odor when turned. Hope you are back in the shop soon, Wally.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 1:51 PM
Beautiful goblet Wally! Simple elegance!

Hope you get to feeling better soon and can get in some shop time! Sounds like you have quite the list! Have fun!

Thom Sturgill
02-28-2011, 2:50 PM
Very nice Wally. If I wasn't stuck working in Florida, I'd want to be on that list for training. Seeing older turners still active is one off the things that attracted me to the vortex.

John Keeton
02-28-2011, 2:51 PM
Wally, you have such a way of taking the simplest of turnings and making them into a masterpiece! Beautifully done! Hope the shingles clear up. I have been advised to get the shingles vaccine, but have not done so. Apparently, it can be very painful.

Wally Dickerman
02-28-2011, 3:13 PM
Wally, you have such a way of taking the simplest of turnings and making them into a masterpiece! Beautifully done! Hope the shingles clear up. I have been advised to get the shingles vaccine, but have not done so. Apparently, it can be very painful.

John, Do it! Get that shingles shot. If you had chickenpox as a kid, you are a candidate for shingles. Same virus. And yes...shingles is very painful and long lasting.

Thanks for your comments on the goblet. I believe in the KISS principle for most turnings.

Baxter Smith
02-28-2011, 3:14 PM
Although I have never tried one, I have studied this one several times to try and figure out what makes it so appealing. The taper of the pedestal, the smooth curves of the cup, the simple grain and warmth of the wood are what come to mind. Thanks for posting and giving me something to think about.

Ron Stadler
02-28-2011, 4:42 PM
Holy cow Wally, I hope or maybe I don't hope I'll be around at 90 not much less thinking about turning wood. But anyway, the goblet is nice and hope you get around to turning some more soon, damn shingles.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2011, 9:53 PM
Beautiful goblet Wally. I don't know what it is about it but definitely nice.

Mark Hubl
02-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Very nice goblet Wally. Glad to hear that you are on the mend and will be getting in some shop time.