PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Products

Rex Williams
02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
If you want a quailty product backed by quailty customer service do not buy toshiba products.

I bought a $2000.00 TV a little over a year ago and it will turn it's self off for no reason. They said it wasn't the tv, but we had everything in our home and other products checked out and nothing wrong with anything on our end. Well it's been in the shop 3 times and it still turns it's self off. Whats so od is it turns off every 1 hour and 49 minutes, you can set your watch by this thing. Well toshiba refuses to do anything else about it. They offered us a $1000 tv for a replacement, what half what we gave for ours. No way I was taking a less quailty TV and their customer service told us they would take care of it and replace it, but when the warrenty ran out they would hang up on us and they lyed to us, just down right rude to us. I guess now if I want anything done about this i'll have to take them to small claims court. They even told us once that they had other TV's doing the same thing, but now they say they didn't tell us that.

So i'm telling you don't buy toshiba if you want a quailty TV. They will not stand behind their products.

Chuck Wintle
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
If you want a quailty product backed by quailty customer service do not buy toshiba products.

I bought a $2000.00 TV a little over a year ago and it will turn it's self off for no reason. They said it wasn't the tv, but we had everything in our home and other products checked out and nothing wrong with anything on our end. Well it's been in the shop 3 times and it still turns it's self off. Whats so od is it turns off every 1 hour and 49 minutes, you can set your watch by this thing. Well toshiba refuses to do anything else about it. They offered us a $1000 tv for a replacement, what half what we gave for ours. No way I was taking a less quailty TV and their customer service told us they would take care of it and replace it, but when the warrenty ran out they would hang up on us and they lyed to us, just down right rude to us. I guess now if I want anything done about this i'll have to take them to small claims court. They even told us once that they had other TV's doing the same thing, but now they say they didn't tell us that.

So i'm telling you don't buy toshiba if you want a quailty TV. They will not stand behind their products.

I hear you! my son had a toshiba laptop that basicallly began to fall aprt 4 months after purchase. Toshiba did nothing to stand behind their product.

Ben Hatcher
02-28-2011, 1:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. Getting bum electronics stinks. I've had two Toshiba products, a laptop and a projection TV. Both were purchased about 10 years ago. The TV, at least, is still going strong. The laptop was upgraded a few years ago but never caused me any problems.

Jerome Stanek
02-28-2011, 5:59 PM
I have 3 Toshiba laptops and they all work great the oldest is about 8 years old and gets used every day.

Dave Lehnert
02-28-2011, 6:18 PM
I had a Toshiba projection TV that lasted about 12-14 years. Considered it one of my best purchases.

Thanks for your story.

Tim Morton
02-28-2011, 6:18 PM
Check over to AVS...look for the thread for your specific model and maybe others have had this issue. If you let me know the model number i can find the thread for you. Where did you buy it? You are just over your waranteee...you might be able to keep the pressure on and get this covered.

W Craig Wilson
02-28-2011, 6:55 PM
Sounds like a permanent "sleep timer"..

Rex Williams
03-01-2011, 9:09 AM
I had a toshiba TV before this one that lasted about 10 years, thats why I bought another one. But if you have trobles and toshiba isn't going to take care of you then i'm not ever going to buy another one. They have lyed to us they have hung up on us. They were pretty nice untill the warrenty ran out and then they stopped being nice. It was in the shop three times in the year of warrenty, over 2 months we didn't even have the TV. They assured us they would take care of this since it was a problem from day one, but that was a lye, they aren't going to do anything else. They offered to replace the TV with one that is worth half what my TV was worth. Would you do that? I'll see them in small claims court. I even tried the BBB and they still refused to do anything about this so court is my only action left.

David Weaver
03-01-2011, 9:25 AM
Well, someone better buy something from them or they'll have to scrape up some money by selling more of our submarine technology to people we woudln't sell it to!

Callan Campbell
03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Agree with the malfunctioning SLEEP mode post, sounds like a chip is bad or some software glitch. Can you affect the "off" time by playing with the settings in the TV ? All my flat screen Bravia Sonys have both an energy saver feature and Auto-Off. If no movement is detected from a sensor in the front of the TV after awhile, [like you fell asleep in front of it] the TV is shut down to save energy. It happens to my wife's mom who's 83 all the time. She falls asleep, then wakes up to a quiet TV. She thought it was defective. Anyway, play with the Settings section to see if Toshiba has something similar with their TVs, you may be able to turn off the feature and see if it changes how your TV is acting up at the 1hr 49 min mark.

Tom Stenzel
03-01-2011, 7:30 PM
I bought a Toshiba TV back in the '80s. The submarine propeller scandal came out about 6 months later and I remember being miffed about it and swearing never to buy a Toshiba television again.

It only took 21 years for that TV to conk out!

-Tom Stenzel