PDA

View Full Version : Gremlins?

Stuart Reid
02-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I made a post a few days ago regarding my lathe that wouldn't run and Jet is sending me a new push/pull switch which they felt was the problem. I went out to the shop yesterday, plugged in the lathe and lo and behold it ran perfectly. Now what could have happened in the period of a couple of days that would correct the problem? Can I expect it to continue or should I be prepared for it to stop again? This seems very strange to me.

Stu

John Keeton
02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Stuart, I don't know much about the Jet, but I have had a couple of instances with my Delta switch. It turned out to be dust. Now, when I clean up after turning, I blow out the area around my switch. I don't dismantle anything - just blow it out. Seems to have eliminated the problem.

Bill Bolen
02-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I had the same problems with my jet 1442. Dust got into the switch. I just hit the area with the shop vac when done for the day and the problem hasn't hit again...Bill...

Ron Stadler
02-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Not really sure, but could condensation be a problem. Maybe it dried out since the last time you turned it on, just a thought.

Stuart Reid
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
After my first post I blew out the switch and the remote switch. I wonder if there was some moisture in the compressed air that blew out the dust but left some moisture behind. After a couple of days that dried and everything was back to normal. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Stu

Thom Sturgill
02-28-2011, 2:46 PM
After my first post I blew out the switch and the remote switch. I wonder if there was some moisture in the compressed air that blew out the dust but left some moisture behind. After a couple of days that dried and everything was back to normal. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Stu

Sound right to me!

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 3:49 PM
I've had the same thing happen a few times and it usually is the remote switch being dusty. Have had a few times where I had to unplug the lathe and walk away for 15 minutes or so... and that seemed to work also! So - I think gremlins may have something to do with it!

David E Keller
02-28-2011, 9:10 PM
I've had this happen a couple of times on my PM... I just unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in. It's good to know about the gremlins... I thought my lathe just hated me.

Russell Neyman
09-04-2011, 3:17 AM
Just did a post about trying to find a replacement motor for my Jet 1442VSK, so some of this is a repeat. I had the same thing... lathe just wouldn't start, even after a long rest. I checked the switch and I DO have power at the motor side when I turn it on and off, so I don't think it's dust in the switch itself. But the idea that sawdust might be the problem is a good one. Where should I blow things out?