PDA

View Full Version : Festool Systainer Port

Paul Franklin
01-21-2005, 5:22 PM
Hi just wanted to show of the Syytainer ports I made. I know thw Festool ones ares great, but I just saved over $1000.00 by building them myself. After all we are woodworkers! So with the money I saved I am going shopping at Festool.

The Drawers are on full extension drawer slides.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Chris DeHut
01-21-2005, 5:28 PM
Cool Paul, you fit right in with our (WaHM) way of thinking... organize and maximize the use of space.

I am curious though, I see those rubber mats everywhere on the floor. I also see that your container carts are on wheels. Will those mats support everything and allow it to roll freely?

I am especially curios of you have some of your machines on wheels and if they roll on those mats. The older I get, the more I hate standing on concrete all day long.

Again, nice job on those "ports".

Chris DeHut

Paul Franklin
01-21-2005, 5:33 PM
Chris
The mats do support them, although you need to be careful moving them around. But i do not keep the carts where I took the pictures. I have an area all around the shop that does not have mats. The carts stay pretty much in one place.
I do not have machines on wheels. The mats are cut around the machines. They are great and the best place to get the mats are at Sams Club. They are a fraction of the price compared to everywhere else I have seen them.
Paul

Greg Mann
01-21-2005, 5:34 PM
Very nice, Paul. I see you have spent some of that Festool money with Lamello. Fits in there with its Bavarian cousins quite nicely.

Greg

Jim Becker
01-21-2005, 5:39 PM
I doubt you'll ever "lose" them in the shop with all that bright green!! Great job and a nice storage solution.

Chris Padilla
01-21-2005, 7:09 PM
Nice guide rail storage! Do your trays slide out nicely like on the $$$s Festool carts? Your collection of Festool goodies reminds me of a friend of mine...even down to the Lamello biscuit jointer.... :D

Paul Franklin
01-21-2005, 7:31 PM
Chris
Yes they are on full extension slides, and can be moved to different positions. I used the 32mm hole system.

Thanks
Paul

Steve Clardy
01-21-2005, 8:13 PM
Those look real slick. Nice job.
Steve

Chris Pasko
01-21-2005, 9:19 PM
Man that is an awesome set up you have there! Nice job!

Frank Pellow
01-21-2005, 9:45 PM
Those look really good Paul!

I have one systainer port from Festool and I like it, in fact I like it a lot. I need another; and you just may have given me the incentive that I need to build it myself. Any additional detials about the construction would be appreciated. I would also like to know more about the set of drawers on top of the middle unit.

Paul Franklin
01-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Frank
Thanks, the construction is just like a kitchen cabinet, I used the Festool hole drilling set to make the holes in the side so the drawers are adjutable, the full extension slides screw right into the holes. The wheels are mounted to a 2x4 frame. I found a great place to get full extension slides, and real cheap too. 14" under $5 its D Lawless.
The unit on top, is just like pigeon holes for my Mini Systainers 1 & 2, Just a box with rabets for 1/4" ply as shelves, and finger holes to get to the boxes.
Thanks again
Paul

David Klug
01-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Paul what kind of fence do you have on your TS? What I can see of it looks familiar.

DK

Paul Franklin
01-21-2005, 10:33 PM
David
Its a Dewalt TS & Fence

Frank Pellow
01-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Frank
Thanks, the construction is just like a kitchen cabinet, I used the Festool hole drilling set to make the holes in the side so the drawers are adjutable, the full extension slides screw right into the holes. The wheels are mounted to a 2x4 frame. I found a great place to get full extension slides, and real cheap too. 14" under $5 its D Lawless.
The unit on top, is just like pigeon holes for my Mini Systainers 1 & 2, Just a box with rabets for 1/4" ply as shelves, and finger holes to get to the boxes.
Thanks again
Paul
Thanks Paul.

One of the nice things about the Festool sysport is the way that the drawers lock shut so that you don't need to worry about them when moving the unit. Do you have a ldrawer ocking mechanism and, if so, what is it?

Paul Franklin
01-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Frank
The slides lock into place when slid all the way back. Its not as secure as the Festool system. But I won't be moving it around that much. Plus I believe you have to push the button in every time you want to open a drawer on the Festool system, is that true?
paul

Charles McKinley
01-22-2005, 1:32 AM
Frank,

Ifyou moved it alot it would be easy enough to put simple sliding bolt locks on it.

Paul,

Those look great! I hope the cash flow allows for some greening of the shop this spring.

Christian Aufreiter
01-22-2005, 6:48 AM
Hi Paul,

very nice cabinet and a great collection of tools.
I would have wanted to build a Sys-Port myself but due to a lack of floor space I went with simple open shelves.
Did you use Euro-screws for mounting the slides?

Frank, IMO good drawer slides - such as Blum Tandem - should "lock" as Paul described.

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
01-22-2005, 6:51 AM
Frank
Plus I believe you have to push the button in every time you want to open a drawer on the Festool system, is that true?
paul
Yes, you need to push the button before you can open a drawer. And, only one drawer can be open at a time. I have gotten quite used to this, but it was a little confusing at first.

Paul Franklin
01-22-2005, 1:06 PM
Christian

Yes I used Euro screws to mount the slides.

Thanks
Paul

John Petsche
11-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Great ideas and pics.