PDA

View Full Version : SMC loses one of our own… Andy Hoyt

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 9:48 AM
I am very sad to report that Andy Hoyt, moderator and all-round great guy, has passed away.

There are no details at this time. As soon as information becomes available, it will be added to this thread.

Andy - thanks for being you! You will be missed!

Belinda Barfield
02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I am saddened by the loss of Andy. He will be sorely missed. I am not fortunate enough to have known him other than through his posts here. I eagerly awaited each new turner interview. Andy had a great skill in bringing the interviewee to life and allowing me to have a glimpse of the person behind the skill. I thoroughly enjoyed Andy's wit and benefitted from his wisdom. Rest in Peace, Mr. Hoyt. To all of you who knew him, my sincerest condolences.

glenn bradley
02-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Missin' you already Andy. Rest in Peace.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I can't begin to adequately explain what Andy meant to me.

He was the instigator of the original "Bomb" which resulted in my getting a VS lathe from the very generous members here at SMC. I received a lathe, tools, videos and blanks. It was an incredible experience and Andy started and drove the entire process to completion.

My wife will tell you she hadn't seen me so passionate about anything since I first took up elk hunting 28 years ago as when I began turning. For the first 20 months after receiving the lathe, I lived for every free moment away from my job, my family responsibilities and yes....finishing my shop....just to get back to my lathe or clean up my most recent mess so I could get to my next turning project.

Andy had the wit and ability to put a really strange twist to every subject in life and make it come up hilarious......He often had some pretty sage advice too.

As stated by Keith earlier.......he was always friendly.....he was always generous.....with his time and his resources. A friend's happiness was of utmost importance to Andy. He'd do anything within his power to lift your spirits.

He was a Navy Corpman who did some hard time with some Marines. Those people are special souls.

I've missed his presence here at the Creek the last couple years. I'll miss it even more in the coming years.

Brett Baldwin
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Rest easy Andy.

Bruce Page
02-28-2011, 1:55 PM
Rest in peace Andy. May you have found that greener side of the fence.

Jim Underwood
02-28-2011, 2:43 PM
My condolences to friends and family, as well as other forum members. I will miss him too.

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2011, 9:24 PM
May the shamrocks fall softly......Jim.

Chuck Saunders
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
A bottle of Moxie and a bowl of ice cream for you Andy, rest easy my friend.

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2011, 1:21 PM
Here is the link to Andy's obituary.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mainetoday-morningsentinel/obituary.aspx?n=andrew-erskine-hoyt&pid=149027308

Belinda Barfield
03-01-2011, 3:18 PM
Thank you for posting the link Steve.

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2011, 8:22 PM
So long to ya Andy. You will be missed. Thanks for the memories and the start of the SMC "bombing" runs in the turning forum.

Prayers go out for the family and friends.

Steve Clardy
03-01-2011, 9:14 PM
You will be missed Andy. Rest in peace

John Shuk
03-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm bummed. I'm sure Andy has all if the Moxie and ice cream he can stand in heaven. God bless Andy.

Mike Spanbauer
03-11-2011, 3:11 PM
I've been away from the forums for a bit and came back just this morning and found this... RIP Andy - you were an inspiration for many and a funny guy.

Mike

Steve Hoyt
03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey, It's Andy's little brother. His circle of friends had such large radius. I'm glad that it included all of you. So, what's a bomb? Steve Hoyt