PDA

View Full Version : another pendant chuck and first pendant

Rodney Walker
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
This weekend I just finished my version of a pendant chuck based on Mike Golka's design that he posted about a year ago. I chose Mike's design due to the limitless range of adjustments it offers. Thank you! to Mike Golka and others here for sharing your ideas.
This one is a little under 6 inches diameter on the main body and is made to be held by my 4 jaw chuck. Except the screws it's made completely out of scrap. Total cost about 60 cents.
The chuck's body is 3 layers of scrap 3/4 inch plywood I glued together. The sliding bar and clamps for the disk are pallet wood and the small disk is scrap hardwood.
Most of the chucks I've seen are smaller than this one. I made it a little larger because my daughter's lathe is small and light and I thought the extra mass of the chuck body would help keep it more balanced while turning off center. The workmanship on the chuck is a little crude but it works well.
The pendant is made from some of the same pallet wood that was used for parts of the chuck. I think it was a pretty good first attempt though it's a little flat. The next one I'll put more of a curve on the front of it.
Sorry for the poor quality photos, I'm still learning how to post them here.
Thanks
Rodney

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 4:01 PM
Rodney - looks like your new chuck works well! Nice pendant!

You are allowed to post photos that are up to 1024 pixels with a max file size of 107 KB. Let me know if you have any questions about uploading photos.

Mike Golka
02-28-2011, 6:02 PM
Rodney, glad to have been of some help. Good looking chuck, I would add positioning marks to the central disc for repeatability but that's up to you. I am currently working about six hours from home so sadly no lathe time for me for awhile.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2011, 9:51 PM
Good looking Chuck and the pendent is nice.