PDA

View Full Version : What's the most useful ww magazine article you've ever read?

Clisby Clark
02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
One that really impressed me was the PWW article a few years back about making housed dovetails using sawed off guide bushings.

Doug Colombo
02-28-2011, 8:32 AM
I enjoy Woodsmith. I have been getting them for over 15 years and really enjoy the projects and articles. I thought that an article on building a jig for making laminated curved pieces was great. Although not an article, I did build a work bench that they featured and have been very pleased with it.

david brum
02-28-2011, 9:33 AM
Michael Fortune's articles in FWW are very good. In particular, his article from 2 (I think) years ago about setting up a band saw was an eye opener. He cuts through the haze of voodoo, BS and urban myth and tells the reader how to get reliable results.

Chip Lindley
02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Articles in Fine Woodworking on how to sharpen my own planer and jointer blades share top honors with an article on how to tune up the contractor-type TS. That helped me refurbish my first-ever REAL TS. That old Rockwell earned it's keep many times over!

All articles from early issues of FWW was new information for me and I gleaned most all I learned about woodworking and machinery there--one issue at a time! New woodworkers today have no idea how fortunate they are to have the vast amount of woodworking knowledge right at their fingertips by searching this forum and others.

Frank Drew
02-28-2011, 2:31 PM
Years and years ago Fine WoodWorking had an article on vacuum veneering, laying out all the steps involved and equipment needed (which I mostly scrounged or shop built.) Reading it was like a light went off in my head, since I'd been interested in veneering but couldn't figure out how to fit a traditional press in my smallish shop.

Jim Rimmer
02-28-2011, 4:34 PM
The one in the letter telling me my subscription was expiring. ;) Too many redundant articles, plenty of help on the web especially here at SMC.