PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting some tools set up right

Matt Ranum
02-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Now that I finally have a bench that is geared for hand tools I thought I would break down and get some of them in better running order. This #5 is my cheapest plane setting me back a whole $15, and probably the most used, but I have never before pulled thin shavings like this from it before:)

The #8C was my first plane I ever got but never used till now. Took quite a while to get the sole cleaned up and the iron is about shot but she'll do for a little while as much as I'll use it. Going to have to try and fix that horn on the tote though, sure is uncomfortable on the hand the way it is. The tote was actually the one that came on the #5 but I switched them since I wasn't using this one.

184547 My biggest question is here, with this Ohio Tool Co. Rabbet/Rebate plane. Never used one and it needs a new wedge. Can someone point me in the right direction on making a new one, and just how do you set these? How can you tell if the sole is in need of refacing? Its out of square about 1/16" and I'm wondering if by the time I flatten it if I will need to put on a new sole?

David Weaver
02-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Measure the angle on that wedge, and measure the thickness.

Get something quartersawn in orientation and cut a triangle and thickness it to the thickness the other wedge was. If you want to get fancy, and the other wedge wasn't super tight, then cut it a bit oversize and plane it until it just fits thickness-wise. Once you have everything fit, then you can cut the finial on the top.

Square the sole and then determine whether or not you need to add thickness to the sole. Realize it's a $10 plane, so you want to make it functional and then pretty much stop there. You add a sole to the plane when you feel like the mouth is too wide.

(you're going to wonder how to cut the wedge if you don't have a jig to do the taper. You can always cut it close by hand and then put your jointer upside down in the vise and trim the wedge to your mark).

Matt Ranum
02-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks David for the wedge info, yeah I know its a cheap chunk a wood and I thought about just sticking on the wall for something to look at but I was thinking I could use it for cleaning up tenons and the like. Kinda want a shoulder plane but can't justify the cost.

Andrae Covington
02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
The only thing I would add to what David said is to point out that since the blade is skewed (as best I can tell), the wedge you make will need to be skewed as well. In section it will be more of a parallelogram than a rectangle. So take care not to change the angle as you trim the wedge to fit.