PDA

View Full Version : pendants & mice

Terry Achey
02-27-2011, 9:22 PM
Not weeks...:mad: it's been months since I had any decent shop time! I finally had a chance to do some catching up this weekend and so I focused on two items that so many of you have expertly exhibited.... pendants and mice!

The pendants were interesting to make with the offset jig. So very many different types and patterns possible. And the mice... well, there just plain fun to make. Thanks, Jim!

Terry

Ron Stadler
02-27-2011, 9:41 PM
Those are really nice, really love some of those in the second batch, the red and purple ones and one with beads are beautiful..nice work.

Donny Lawson
02-27-2011, 9:43 PM
Those are really nice pendants. I recieved a pendant offset jig from a member of the creek and would love to learn how to use it. My daughter would love to see me do this.Are they hard to make? ,or is there a tutorial on this? Thanks, Donny

Richard Madden
02-27-2011, 9:44 PM
Nice pieces. Someday you'll have to show us your offset jig.

JerHall
02-27-2011, 9:56 PM
Here is a nice tutorial by Nick Arnell and Hans Wunch:
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/necklace_pendant.pdf

Also, Ed Davidson has two videos on turning pendants and off-center design elements (long downloads tho) using a special chuck:
http://www.yoyospin.com/video/

I have long planned to make my own backer board with a 1/2" wide x 3/4 thick x 5" long Glued and screwed to a backer plate. This would fit between the gap of Nova chuck with 2" jaws. then the center of the pendant could be turned on multiple vertical centers, and rotated 90 degrees for say decorative marks on horizontal centers. Might work. Will give a try one of these days. And as a further degree of freedom the backer could be two pieces with threaded insert in the outer one and slots in the inner one to allow the center to further adjusted. Marks could be made to allow repeatability of design. Kind of a poor mans Sorby or Escoulan eccentric jig. Should be plenty stable for a simple turning of small stock like a pendant. I have done something similar to turn eccentric bottle stoppers. See Pictures:

David E Keller
02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Very nice, Terry. Looks like you've really got the hang of that indexing plate for designs.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Really nice pieces Terry. Nicely done on all.

Brian Effinger
02-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Great pendants. I especially like the multi color/layered ones in the second photo. :)

Jim Burr
02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks Terry :mad:...after seeing these, my wife reminded me that she needs 6-8 for beaded necklesses she does...and I wanted to make a pen :eek:;)

Baxter Smith
02-28-2011, 3:04 PM
Cool critters. I like the multi colored pendants!

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 3:54 PM
Very nice variety of work! Really like the ones with color - sure make a fashion statement!

dennis kranz
03-01-2011, 1:01 AM
I like all of them. But the mice are realy cool.
Dennis

Joseph D'Orazio
03-01-2011, 7:34 AM
The mice are awesome. Interested to hear about that turquoise process. Did you apply it and then turn it with the piece you were working on or did you apply that after you turned the pendant?

Tim Thiebaut
03-01-2011, 8:25 AM
Those are great looking pendants you have made there, the ones with the inlays are very cool!

Terry Achey
03-02-2011, 9:14 PM
The mice are awesome. Interested to hear about that turquoise process. Did you apply it and then turn it with the piece you were working on or did you apply that after you turned the pendant?

Sorry for the slow response, Joseph. I've been off-line too much lately. I cut my pattern deeply into the pendant blank and then applied the inlace turquoise and let it cure overnight. I kept the blank on the indexing jig to do this for convenience (double sided tape). Turned to finished dimension the next day. Simple enough to do. The tricky part is figuring out a nice design. I'm not above copying nice designs from the many more talented folks out there ;-)
Hope this helps... Terry

Joseph D'Orazio
03-02-2011, 9:22 PM
Sorry for the slow response, Joseph. I've been off-line too much lately. I cut my pattern deeply into the pendant blank and then applied the inlace turquoise and let it cure overnight. I kept the blank on the indexing jig to do this for convenience (double sided tape). Turned to finished dimension the next day. Simple enough to do. The tricky part is figuring out a nice design. I'm not above copying nice designs from the many more talented folks out there ;-)
Hope this helps... Terry
Awesome, thank you.

Brian Effinger
03-02-2011, 9:23 PM
Terry - how thick is the black layer of wood in those middle pendants? It isn't a thin veneer, is it?
Thanks.

John McCaskill
03-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Terry, The patterns look very nice. I really admire your work. I get tearout on some of my cross-cuts. What tool to you use for those and how do you approach the cut, if you don't mind my asking?

John