PDA

View Full Version : Bragging Time- New drill press

Gregory King
02-27-2011, 9:08 PM
Only my second post, but here goes. I wanted a new drill press and after lots of reading and mind juggling, I narrowed it down to two. Powermatic's and Delta's best. Given my track record with the Delta product, I chose the 18-900L. Anyway, this being my first large purchase shipped direct from the U.S.A., I chose Wood Craft and I'm glad I did. Amy responded to my first e-mail within an hour. She sent me my cost shipping for both the drill press and Delta's matching mortising attachment shipped to the Maine/ Canada border of which I am only one half hour away. I picked it up last Saturday morning and by night fall I had it assembled. Actually, my better half help me guide the head piece over the post top. This is one heavy animal, but she is one beauty. With the arrival of our first grand-child (A boy), I haven't had time to play with it much, but I did notice that the laser was out by roughly 3/16" which will be adjusted soon. My wife has plans for me to build a toddlers bed which requires square mortises, so wish me luck.

Bill Huber
02-27-2011, 9:28 PM
I am not sure, this is really close to a gloat and I do understand this is only your 2nd post so maybe we can over look it this time..

But no pictures, didn't happen.

I looked at that drill press and it looks really good, I have an old Craftsman that works fine so I can justify a new one but if I could I think that is the one I would go with.

Oh yes, congratulations on the new grand child, they are a lot of fun and it gives you a lot of things you can build.

Gregory King
02-28-2011, 8:19 AM
Thanks Bill, can't say I blame you. New guy and no pictures. Stupid me. I'll post a couple tonite. And while I'm at it, even one of my router workstation. Courtesy of Norm Abram's plan.

John McClanahan
02-28-2011, 8:23 AM
Dropping Norm's name should help make up for the new member gloat. :D:D

John

glenn bradley
02-28-2011, 8:55 AM
First off, welcome. Second, congrats; I think you made the right choice and will enjoy that DP. That is, if it actually exists ;-)

John Coloccia
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I see no drill press...

Dan Hintz
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I was between the same two machines, but after seeing so many questionable reviews on the PM, I went with the Delta, too.

John Coloccia
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I was between the same two machines, but after seeing so many questionable reviews on the PM, I went with the Delta, too.

The problem as I see it on all of them is that they all seem to have a lot of play where there should be none. Most do, anyway. Some come out very tight. That just makes the PM a poor value, IMHO, when you can get something just as bad for half the price. The PM's a nicer machine in fit and finish, but it just doesn't seem to be any better where it counts.

I'm still looking for a decent drill press. I haven't found the old Atlas/Walker Turner I want yet.

Julian Tracy
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Yep - You want a good drill press these days, buy a used one.

JT

glenn bradley
02-28-2011, 12:38 PM
The PM's a nicer machine in fit and finish, but it just doesn't seem to be any better where it counts.

Things that killed the PM for me were the poor table height mechanism (decent table though) and the failure to go as slow as it is supposed to (which even as advertised is not slow enough for many woodworking tasks). I have a Delta 17-950 which I have made usable and a late 1940's Delta Milwaukee that is stellar but, only a 14" machine.

With the long quill stroke, nice table and speeds down to 170rpm, the Delta 18-900 seems to be the decent >$1K machine at this point in time. I too await that well cared for old beast that wants to come and live in my shop :)

P.s. I still don't see Gregory's machine :D:D:D

Gregory King
02-28-2011, 2:16 PM
Pictures tonite guys, when I get home. If my garage isn't buried in snow. I kid you not, it will not quit snowing here. One flaw in the PM that discouraged me was the fact that the speed indicator was not accurate. I had read a couple of reviews where someone had actually tested the RPM's and found them to be out by as much as 50. This is not really significant to me, but what is the need for a fancy illuminated dashboard if its not trustworthy to start with? Maybe there is an adjustment for that feature that I'm not aware of.

Gregory King
02-28-2011, 6:22 PM
Here are the pictures I promised. Excuse the mess in the garage. Need to do spring clean up. Router for table is PC 890 series. Thanks guys

Paul McGaha
02-28-2011, 6:26 PM
There it is. Beauty. Congratulations Gegory.

Looks like you made a copy of Norms router table, or something very close.

PHM

Wayne Hendrix
02-28-2011, 6:53 PM
Congratulations, I just ordered one today and cant wait for it to arrive.