PDA

View Full Version : dowel threading

paul wiser
02-27-2011, 8:58 PM
i have a 3/4 inch tap box. wish to thread some dowels to make nutcrackers. how do i avoid the threads chipping??? is one wood better than another for threading? thanks fgor any assistance

Zach Dillinger
02-27-2011, 9:10 PM
Many woods will work. You want a fine grained hardwood. Maple, birch, or beech will work well. Make sure to use mineral oil or something similar to lubricate the tap as you work it down the dowel. Remember to back out the tap a half turn or so for every turn and a half forward. Takes longer but will clear the tap of chips and help make clean threads.

Johnny Kleso
02-27-2011, 9:38 PM
I have never tried this method but soak the dowels in polyurethane and let dry a few days and then thread them..
I thought this up after seeing a video on soaking a cutting board till you see the poly start to seap through the other side..
I was thinking this should work well for threads if polyurethane has been soaked through wood..

george wilson
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
You could try putting mineral oil on the dowels. The most important thing is to have the threading box cutter VERY sharp. And,if it isn't perfectly adjusted,you will not get good threads at all. The Beal router method of cutting threads will give clean threads,but you have to buy the outfit,of course.