PDA

View Full Version : It's been a "BUSY" day....

Donny Lawson
02-27-2011, 8:29 PM

I cut a nice Box Elder log today that I had brought home last week. I got 2 nice bowl blanks and turned them both to rough. The first one was put in DNA and the second one I sealed with anchorseal. I also got alot of pen blanks and misc. blocks for other turnings later. All items are anchorsealed. I am tired. I also put 2 coats of poly on my eariler bowls I made yesterday. It's been a long day but after looking at all this it was worth it.
Donny

Donny Lawson
02-27-2011, 8:36 PM
Here are a few more.
Donny

Michael James
02-27-2011, 8:38 PM
That is some very beautiful wood there Donny, and glad to see the 46-460 survived the fire.
mj

Cathy Schaewe
02-27-2011, 9:01 PM
Wow, that's a beautiful piece of wood, and it's great to see you turning again!!!!!

alex carey
02-27-2011, 9:04 PM
Thats pretty!

Donny Lawson
02-27-2011, 9:07 PM
I still have things to build but I could not resist. Now that I'm turning again I may not get to finish the shop. Gotta "LOVE" turning..
Donny

John Keeton
02-27-2011, 9:18 PM
Donny, glad you are back at the lathe. Is it in your shop? If so, looks like you have made some significant progress on the rebuild.

Ron Stadler
02-27-2011, 9:46 PM
Wow, what a beautiful piece of wood, that should turn out gorgeous. I would love to get my hands on some nice box elder like that.

Rich Aldrich
02-27-2011, 9:48 PM
Donny, - nice looking wood. Is the red spalting or just the color of the wood?

Glad to see you getting set up in your new shop. I find myself being a bit more careful - looking at things differently that could cause a fire and/or be a safety hazzard.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-27-2011, 11:00 PM
We turners are a lucky bunch you know, we get to see the beautiful fresh colors and grains of the wood, play with some real special material, it is just too bad we can't keep those colors to stay as is, just enjoy them while you can.
That little lathe seems to be working just fine again, have fun and take care :D

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Beautiful box elder Donny. Glad to see ya got some turning time.

Dan Forman
02-28-2011, 4:02 AM
That is some spectacular looking wood!

Dan

Fred Perreault
02-28-2011, 6:38 AM
Donny, nice looking stuff. It looks like woodworking is getting a second life for you. Where does one get box elder like that? Does it grow on trees (nearby) or something? :)

Good luck....

Donny Lawson
02-28-2011, 6:44 AM
Donny, glad you are back at the lathe. Is it in your shop? If so, looks like you have made some significant progress on the rebuild.

It's my shop.I still need to build a planer stand and something for clamps. I also have some re-placement of some tools. Some are not where I want them. I have a few tools I still need to get out of my old shop and clean.,but as of now I'm finally getting started again.Everytime I start doing something I realize I need something either from my old shop or it's a trip to the store. That gets frustrating but hopefully soon I will have everything I need.It's the smaller things that you will miss the most. Thanks to everyone here for all the support on helping me get back up and running.
Donny

Jim Burr
02-28-2011, 8:24 AM
Great to have you back in the saddle again...and with a bang!

bob svoboda
02-28-2011, 9:49 AM
Glad to see you're back at it, Donny. I'll bet all of us have drawers, boxes and shelves full of little stuff we take for granted, but would sorely miss if it was gone. Beautiful and colorful box elder!

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Wow! That sure is some beautiful wood! Love the color and all the worm holes! Will make for some very interesting bowls! Looking forward to seeing them once finished! Have fun!

Baxter Smith
02-28-2011, 2:48 PM
Great looking piece of wood. Every time I see a piece posted, I try and remind myself that that color isn't suppposed to last. Makes me a little less envious about never having turned or even seen a piece of it:).

Glad you are up and running again!

Donny Lawson
02-28-2011, 8:03 PM
Donny, nice looking stuff. It looks like woodworking is getting a second life for you. Where does one get box elder like that? Does it grow on trees (nearby) or something? :)

Good luck....

These trees grow around here but beating someone else to it is the problem. I got lucky about 2 weeks ago and found a tree at work. I loaded some on my truck and called someone at my local woodturners club and gave him the rest.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-28-2011, 9:47 PM
Great to see you back in the shop. The horrors seem to be fading into the past. Great looking wood.
faust