PDA

View Full Version : Mobility/Mobile Base Question

Justin Chen
02-27-2011, 8:12 PM
I want to build a tablesaw workstation similiar to this:

http://www.raygirling.com/sawtable.htm

I'm trying to figure this out in my head but wanted other opinions about the mobility of the station. Most commerical bases have a lift mechanism and leveling feet. By using locking casters would there be issues with a nonlevel floor (garage)?

glenn bradley
02-27-2011, 9:10 PM
The torsion box will try to resist racking but, if placed on the bias, that is, kitty-corner to the slope, there will be some serious stress. I have a rolling cabinet that has generous 1/8" gaps around the drawers and is actually allowed to rack. This would not be good on something that is supposed to stay in alignment like a saw/fence.

I keep a couple of shim-packs (about $1 at the BORG) around the shop to compensate for the garage floor slope for the few fixtures I have on wheels. Screw-down levelers would be more heavy duty but, the shims work and are easy to change/adjust. Maybe others here with mobile saw stands can chime in about how racking affects (or doesn't affect) their alignment. Lots of folks do it so I'm sure there are good ways to do it, things to watch for, etc.