PDA

View Full Version : Solid wood mag rack/cabinet

Rick Moyer
02-27-2011, 7:30 PM
I am thinking about making a cabinet/rack out of solid hardwood. Is this just a bad idea, or how could I use solid wood for the sides, shelves, etc.? The thing would be about 11-12" deep, about 24+/- high, with a few shelves. Picture two sides and a top with some shelves. May or may not put a back on it (which would be plywood).
This will just be a simple box, but the reason I'm thinking solid wood is I have some walnut that came from my uncle's farm years ago that I want to use, and am concerned about trying to match plywood with the walnut. I'm not going to veneer anything, so it's either use the walnut for the sides or try to match plywood to the walnut. I know I would need to account for some movement at shelf/side and side/top connection. How would I go about this? A little glue at the front of the shelves only? No back? Would it matter since all the wood would be the same? Looking for your thoughts.

forgot to say: one or more of the shelves would have a vertical divider, too.

Dave MacArthur
02-28-2011, 3:47 AM
Not sure why you think there would be a problem with all solid--the grain would all run the same way at the shelf/side (the expansion would be across the 12" width in both shelves and sides), and if it's all walnut then it would expand/contract together. No problems.

I just finished reading two books on bookshelves last night, and it's pretty much standard. Guys dado the sides, glue in the shelves with or without rabbets, no problem. Another common one is a sliding dovetail, also glued. All my book cases have been of ply with facing strips applied, but that's mostly because I was building them to fit against each other, so sides wouldn't be seen anyways.

Go for it, sounds like a great use of that walnut!

Rick Moyer
02-28-2011, 8:41 AM
Thanks Dave. I was thinking about just what you are saying after I posted this last night, and kinda thought the same thing. The grain would all run the same way and all the same material so why shouldn't it be ok? Thanks for the affirmation. The only grain change would be the vertical dividers and they would be only 4"-6" so I don't suspect a problem.