PDA

View Full Version : Recent Acquisitions - Show and Tell

Louis Bois
01-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Well,

Since most people seem to be gloating about new tool purchases or old tools made new through cosmetic surgery (Tom being a notable exception), I thought I'd show a few of my recent acquisitions that were obtained through various channels (all legal, of course!!!:eek:)

First off, there's the complete, boxed Stanley 45 Type 20, which is in absolutely pristine condition. Great to be able to find one in this state.

Secondly, I picked up another Stanley 45 body (type 7B) for a song, which can be set up with a different blade...minimizes blade changes (which can be a pain) during the course of a job.

Next is a lovely Scrub Plane, #40 which is pretty much in mint condition. I was hard pressed to believe that it wasn't a reconditioned affair. I've shown it around to a few WW friends and they're equally amazed. The photo shows the finish to be a bit gray...but I assure you that it's quite black.

There's also a Stanley block plane, #65 with the knuckle cap. Where do you think Tom LN gets his ideas? Look no further.

Lastly, a #48 T&G plane. This is probably one of the best designed tools...EVERj!!! You run the plane with the fence in one position...you get a tongue. You reverse the fence? you get the groove. You slide the 2 pieces of wood together with a satisfying phhhhtttt!!! Perfect match, every single time. Brainless and brilliant, all at once. I also acquired the smaller brother of this plane, the #49. Another masterpiece. Highly recommended if you need tongue and groove boards for furniture backs, etc.

I also picked up an early Stanley #46 skew bladed combination plane... Exellent in cross grain work.

...here are the pics...

Louis Bois
01-21-2005, 12:00 PM
...but the real reason for this post...is that my son (the inheritor of all these tools) turned 1 today!!!! HOORAY!!!!

...thanks for your tolerance...

Jerry Palmer
01-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Okay, Loius, you gotta come clean on your sources! That #45 is cherry, as well as the scrub.

And the kid looks to be almost good as new, too. That's what it is all about.

Scott Parks
01-21-2005, 3:32 PM
Aw jeez, Beauty of a 45!!! Where'd ya get it? I've been watching them on Ebay. I have a 45 box, cutters, cam, and fence but no 45! I had one I was watching, but forgot about it. It closed at $35 without a single bid! Oh well... there'll be more. Most go for $50-$100 just for the plane.

Louis Bois
01-21-2005, 3:39 PM
Jerry & Scott,

Both the 45's and the #40 were e-bay wins...believe it or not...and the Type 20 didn't come cheap, at least not by e-bay standards, but was still a relatively good deal...considering the shape it's in. Guess ya get what ya pay for...at least some of the time.

I've found the best deals can be found with items that close in the wee hours of the morning...or on holidays...as nobody seems to be watching and you can sneak a low bid. Therefore, if you're planning on selling something, make sure the bids end in the early evening!!! or I'll be getting some more good deals!:D

Keith Christopher
01-21-2005, 3:51 PM
WOOT 1 today ! I can barely remember when mine were 1.

congrats on the tools as well !

Tyler Howell
01-21-2005, 3:57 PM
Very Nice Louis and the makings for a real nice Avatar at the end....... ;)

Chris Padilla
01-21-2005, 4:18 PM
Very Nice Louis and the makings for a real nice Avatar at the end....... ;)
Enjoy! :) :)

Louis Bois
01-21-2005, 5:14 PM
er...fellas...what's wrong with my carved "Mr. Punch" avatar?!? Is he too SCARY?!? I would've thought that my face was scarier!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Tom LaRussa
01-21-2005, 5:16 PM
...but the real reason for this post...is that my son (the inheritor of all these tools) turned 1 today!!!! HOORAY!!!!

...thanks for your tolerance...
Cool.

Happy Birthday Little Dood!

Oh, and very nice grabs, Louis. :D

John Dingman
01-21-2005, 7:32 PM
Louis,

Nice score! And that is one cute little guy you've got there!

Take Care,
John

Dave Anderson NH
01-22-2005, 7:19 AM
I see that you have been busy while I was away at Colonial Williamsburg. You've picked up some really nice stuff. The little fella is a nice prize too.

Jerry Crawford
01-22-2005, 11:26 PM
OK guys, I don't have any grandchildren pictures to show off (I envy you that journey, DAD), nor any recent hand tool finds from the local flea market - but here is what my step son put under my tree at christmas this year :D Something to build that small garage shop around.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/JerryCrawford/tablesaw.jpg

Jim Dunn
01-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Who's that handsome person holding your son?? Don't look like you at all Louis;)
Great birthday present for that little fella.

Jim

Doug Shepard
01-23-2005, 8:22 AM
OK guys, I don't have any grandchildren pictures to show off (I envy you that journey, DAD), nor any recent hand tool finds from the local flea market - but here is what my step son put under my tree at christmas this year :D Something to build that small garage shop around.

That must have been one really big tree. I'm guessing cathedral ceilings in your house:D

Jerry Crawford
01-23-2005, 10:12 AM
That must have been one really big tree. I'm guessing cathedral ceilings in your house:D

:D well, any more, Christmas trees and holiday decorations are a lot like sex, .... mostly fond memories in my head. But, the saw is real :p

Louis Bois
01-24-2005, 8:55 AM
Thanks Everyone.

Well Tyler, it's difficult not to change my avatar after Chris has gone to so much trouble to create it...so there we go.

Cheers!!!